Gah! The more you win, the more you lose. Nasty node.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0dja

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I get my new drivers up and running, and things are sounding sweet. Bigger, fuller, clearer bass... but what's that? That nasty boomy note?

After fiddling around with box volume, and swapping speakers, and twiddling EQ, it's pretty clear... I get a really nasty room node at about 40-50Hz. Prob didn't notice before because I was not getting much down there.

It's only on the one side... and it's really not a very useful shape room.

The wall next to the problem side is a big set of glass panes... which buzz and rattle if I play low freq tones loud.

room.jpg

Using the room mode calculator at http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm it would seem to agree - 45-odd Hz is a big tangential mode.

So how can I solve this? I tried repositioning the speakers slightly, but that did nothing. Took about 6 sheets of uthermo (150mm) and stuck them in the corner behind the left speaker... not a clear change. It's the left speaker causing the mayhem, the right is not in a corner, so I guess less lf gain from room shape.

For most music it's fine, but for anything electronic it can be a big deep drone (e.g. Massive Attack, who love low bass lines).

:vsad:

Latest posts