Combining a stereo integrated or pre amp into Home theatre setup.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I?ve had a few discussions with some forumites around the topic, and thought I?d start this thread to see what can be gleaned from other members with experience using a stereo amp or pre amp with ht bypass in their HT setups.

I am looking to combine my systems (eventually) keeping my current AVR (marantz sr5012) a power amp (3 channel or 5 channel), my turntable & phono stage and run the analogue through either a pre amp or stereo integrated incorporated with the AVR through HT bypass (with the intention to then sell my current stereo setup)

Using the following list as a starting point http://audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input to see which pre-amps and which integrated amps have HT bypass,

I was hoping to hear from other forumites who are using an integrated or pre with ht bypass with their AVR and what the daily experience is? What amp/pre are you using? and what advice if any can you give to someone thinking of going the same route?

While I absolutely understand that it comes down to personal preference & what sound you like/what will work in your system, I believe their is some benefit to hearing from others who have gone on the path before or are further down and what they have experienced good, bad or otherwise.
My budget is unlikely to be one that will allow for continuous trial, demo, sale. So being able to hear from others that could help with further consideration down a particular route/path does help somewhat in reducing at least potential worry around buying and not enjoying them having to sell

To make things more complicated I do currently listen to my analogue setup through headphones at times, nothing fancy or headfi but good to me (I?d like to keep the possibility of continuing to do so when combining, so is another consideration for when I do combine, but absolutely something that is needed currently?so maybe upon combining I might not need headphone out but right now I do?if that makes sense)

I?m not looking for recommendations in the form of ?this amp is good try that?, more I?m hoping to hear how you?ve integrated, what your system looks like/sounds like, and what your experience has been from putting it together in its current integrated form to living with it daily & if there was anything you?d do differently or not do.

For example I seriously considered the krell 300i that was up recently on the sale threads it having HT bypass as an option?the price was in line with my budget power aswell, and thought it would suit my Bentleys decently?the roadblock for me was the headphone out or lack thereof. And having to gain match to get the integrated in line with the AVR (if I understand HT bypass correctly), I?ve looked at tube integrated and power mono?s aswell but without enough info on real world experience other than internet reviews it makes trialing at the price a potentially very expensive exercise

Looking forward to reading further input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts