Cables that make a difference

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now most folks here know that I don't give all that much attention to cable preferring to focus my energy on the acoustics and loudspeaker side of things...However with a PC there is a very particular thing I want to draw your attention to: the cheap and nasty stereo mini-jack to RCA cables.

Using an adapter that plugs into a jack and exposes two female RCAs and a well shielded cable make a worth while difference in noise pickup I've found. Two pairs of Amphenol RCA connectors and a length of Mogami stereo unbalanced cable made for a well worthwhile difference for little money.

Now most people don't have >110dB multi-amped speakers, but I do and I've been chasing down all manner of noise related issues. With normal efficiency these things get drowned out mostly and are hardly audible with your ear up against the tweeter, but horns are different on a scale. So if anyone has noise pickup on a sound card, don't always blame it on the card and look at the hookup as well.

Latest posts