cable id tags

chrisd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Where can I source cable id tags?My setup has so many speaker,hdmi and ethernet cables in a small space that I need to identify them at both ends.Any ideas for cable id tags that are not too big and will stay in place?Previously,self adhesive labels were wrapped around the cable ends but the adhesive gets old and the label comes off too easily.

Wietsche

AVForums Member
Reaction score
How about this:

https://www.pishop.co.za/store/white-nylon-zip-cable-tie-label-strap-strip-with-marking-tag-3x100mm50-pack

These are out of stock at PiShop but sure you can find it somewhere else.

Wietsche

AVForums Member
Reaction score
https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/cable-ties/2250-nylon-cable-ties-with-tags-10-pack.html

They have some.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been using those little coloured tags that are used to close bread plastic bags with. They work fine if the cable is not removed daily. Price is good, they come free with every loaf of bread bought :)

-F_D

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My economy-minded friend used masking tape and a thin permanent marker pen.  Worked well until the glue dried out

Wietsche

AVForums Member
Reaction score
What I've done a long time ago was to print out small lables and fixed it with clear heat shrink to the cable. I do this when I make up some cables for specific uses. That turned out to look quite professional, until you have to move a cable and realize that your labeling efforts are now totally useless and then cut it off. And now the new heat shrink, sized appropriate for your cable diameter, dont fit over the connectors. I dont do this anymore.

These cable tie tags are what I use now if I need lables. Easy to put on and change the writing by wiping off with some sort of solvent. And they are small enough to not peek out behind your gear or look like you "patched" your old perished cables with tape...

I still use the masking tape method myself, but only temporarily. Like when marking out speaker cable lenghts before I cut them. They either fall off or leave a nasty sticky greasy mess within a couple of weeks when they get heated up by your equipment.

If you have access to a 3D printer, there are very nice reusable tag designs available online to download and print for free. I'll try that next, but I still have lots of the cable tie tags left.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk