Assistance

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian J

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Morning Guys,

I have been going round and round for some time now trying to mate a ribbon to a cone but I have come to the realization that I will never be satisfied.

I have recently rebuilt a pair (1 per side) of tympani panels iv replaced the mylar and rewired and just hooking these bass panels up to my ribbon I am almost in heaven again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to build what I deem as the perfect speaker for me which naturally is subjective.

I am looking at building something similar to the Apogee Studio Grand here is the link http://www.hifi-advice.com/Apogee-Acoustics-studio-grand.html

Where I need advice is the bass I am looking at the Targa 15" TG-1504DW Street Series 1000W(RMS) DVC-4 15" Subwoofer 1 per side.

I would like to go with a sealed box but the xo point would need to be + - 65 - 70hz (can the Targa go that high) as this is where I want the planar bass panel to kick in.

Does anyone have suggestions of what the best way to tackle this integration and should I go Reflex or sealed I calculated an F3 35hz in a 80L enclosure sealed but I could be wrong.

Here are the TS specs.

1000w RMS Power
    Dual Voice Coil: 4 Ohms
    FS (Free Air resonance) - 25.8Hz
    SPL (Efficiency, 1W/1M) - 90.4dB
    Nominal Impedance - 2/4/8 Ohms
    Qts (total speaker "Q") - 0.47
    Qes (Electrical "Q") - 0.52
    Qms (Mechanical "Q") - 4.46
    Vas (Equivalent compliance) - 102.4L
    Mounting Depth: 188mm
    Mounting Hole Diameter: 355mm