Assistance with ITunes (not sure if in the right section if not mods please move)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone could help me out.

I have my entire music library on ITunes on an old laptop…actually on a 1TB external hard drive plugged into that old laptop and need to move it to a new laptop including playlists (phone backups, etc etc)

And yes yes, I know, iTunes not flac not hifi, but it was my first move away from what was media player which was even worse, & (then obviously got engulfed in the ecosystem…let’s call it my digital baggage) this has been how my library is stored for years…since the first black & white iPod with the click wheel infact and the iPhone 3G…

So the laptop that my music library is currently connected to on is dying a slow death (overheating, keyboard works intermittently, has been plugged into power since no battery for 6 years already) so need to move it all to a newer machine

the music itself is not sitting on the computer but on an external drive plugged into that laptop (so as to save memory and functions of the laptop by not putting 150gb of music onto it and keeping it on an external

If this video is to be believed it’s as easy as copying and pasting from the one to the other

But the added complication of the music sitting on an external (and that the library itself in iTunes points to that external and not to C:\Music\Itunes) is confusing me

It should be a quick easy solution (I don’t want to duplicate the library twice over either (obviously)…

Anyone that has a better understanding of the steps I need to do that can put all the music, playlists, etc over and can give me an assist here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all