AR "the turntable" re-plinth

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyIC

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Seeing as this part of the forum has been very quiet over the past few week I thought it would be a cool idea to document my AR turntable re-plinth progress.

I bought the table on this forum some time ago, it was spray painted gloss black which didn't really work for me. I used some paint stripper to remove the paint and hopefully reveal the original veneer finish, unfortunately there was only bare MDF underneath.  :OMG: Someone had obviously stripped the veneer off prior to spray painting it black. So I stored the table away thinking I would build a new plinth for it when I get the time.

Fast forward a few months and I finally started working on a new plinth..

I had a few pieces of blackwood which I thought would work well:

20160730_133833.jpg

Sawed them down to size and cut the miter corners on a miter saw which did not fare as well as I would have liked, but I managed to set the thing up to cut 45deg miters which were acceptable. I plan on getting a better table saw so I can build a sled and throw away the piece of junk miter saw I have.

Test fitting to see if everything lines up and is square:

20160803_153331.jpg

Top piece being glued together, I should really invest in a few better clamps:

20160803_162841.jpg

Glued everything together and used some biscuits to strengthen the joints, one of the miters has a tiny gap but it will hardly be visible once I'm finished:

20160813_190609.jpg

Next I started planing the whole thing down using hand planes and lastly a scraper plane which leaves a really smooth finish, rounded over the corners and smoothed them out with a block plane and some sanding paper:

20160814_142641.jpg

This is about as far as I got, still have to cut the top part out and then it's off to finishing.
Now I'm not a woodworker so it is obviously not perfect but I am pretty happy with how its turned out so far:

20160816_065102_LLS.jpg