Another TV choice thread

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F1racer007

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Guys

I have this itch to purchase a new TV (not needed at all) that for the life of me just will not go away and I have narrowed it down to 2 options and would like inputs from you all based on my watching habits. This itch is not helped by the fact that the wife is getting a new lounge suit so I need something as well.

Admittedly I do not watch plenty of TV but I do like new gadgets/equipment every now and then and after pondering on this for a while I have decided to just get it over with. The problem comes in reading all this reviews and their is always something that put me off the purchase even though I don't have much clue what the draw back is referring to and I doubt I will ever see, this includes "clouding" "back light bleeding" "washed out colours" etc.

I currently have 3 TV's, a 5 year old Sony 32EX400, a 40" Samsung H5000 and a 42 "Telefunken with no model # and all TVs plays good enough for me from DSTV to my gaming needs so I am definitely no purist.

My options are as follows:

Samsung 55J6200 for R 11 699 FHD
Samsung 55JS7200 for R 19 999 UHD

It will be used in the main seating area with moderate amounts of day time lighting and mainly with DSTV and series, my PS4 and PS3 very occasionally (both haven't been on in months). I do not have any 4k content and streaming is not an option due to no uncapped internet options in my area and LTE bill will be a killer for 4k content.

Is the UHD version worth the extra 8k, will I even notice such a big improvement over the FHD version? Also as per KenMasters the JS7200 does not meet the new UHD standard so future proofing with the UHD is also limited I guess.

I don't mind forking out extra as I prefer good quality components but also don't want to be wasteful, my current home theatre setup cost about 25k and I have watched about 5 Blu-rays on it in total in the last 3 years.

My gut feeling is telling me to take the FHD but I also don't want to be missing out on UHD :wallbreak:

Any inputs guys.

Latest posts