Amplifier boards - advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naboo

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi - I want to try and put an amp and pre-amp together. Very much a noob and want to avoid building from scratch. Even so, I have many questions and am hoping to find a bit of help. I did go through many of the older threads and am sad to admit that it feels almost like reading a second year maths calculus exam ;D

I'd like to make use of the parts x press bulk buy thingy if I can. Are there any recommendations for boards from that website?

1) For the amplifier, I was hoping to get an IcePower board because the name sounds cool ... just kidding, I saw that it comes with an integrated power supply so it obviously makes things even easier for me (need al the help I can get). I see that there's only the 50w per channel on parts express. https://www.parts-express.com/icepower-50asx2se-class-d-audio-amplifier-with-power-supply-module-2-x-50w--326-212 . For all the other boards, it's single channel so I'll have to get two 100w boards or something like that if I want more power (on AliExpress there's more 2x stuff). I'm fine with 50w for now but thought maybe I should plan for the future ... blah - 50w is ok. Should I be considering other amp boards on partexpress? If I want to throw other components in I should probably get a power supply anyway, so perhaps I should buy a cheaper amp board?

2) Limited pre-amp availability there ... any recommendations?

3) I want to have at least two RCA type sources (cd and vinyl) - do those inputs go on the pre-amp? How do you switch between the sources - is it part of the pre-amp?

4) what else do I need to get? I'm guessing wires, a power button etc. is fairly easily obtainable via local suppliers so I don't have to worry too much about it?

There's a ton of other questions, but I think that's the most pressing ones, and they're prioritised if you feel like answering just one :) Thanks in advance for any help!

Latest posts