Active vs Passive Subwoofer setup

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So some time ago my Monitor Audio BXW-10 Active Subwoofer's native amplifier module packed up. It was not repairable. After doing some research it look like this particular Subwoofer used a class D amplifier.
I decided to try run the subwoofer off a crown XLS1500 power amplifier ( Class D ) as a passive unit. I also added another costom boxed Focal Polyglass 33 V2 13-Inch Subwoofer onto the amplifiers other channel.
After connecting everthing togther I was getting a constant hum through the sub, then decided to intoduce a "The Matchbox HD" into the circuit between the reciver and amplifier. This seemed to solve the problem.
After getting things dailed in the bass does appear to be more than sufficient.

So my actual question is : would there be a real notcible difference in getting rid of this setup and going for a more well established brand name active subwoofer. At the same time I would suppose it's a difficult question to answer If you don't have the various options in front of you to test and compare.

Latest posts