3D Blu Ray Player Advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stripesturbo

Reaction score
I recently started assembling my first component system. So far I have a Sony str-dh540 AV receiver, with a 5.1 Sony speaker set, and a second hand Sony SA-W2500. Older items include a Samsung PN51F5500 and a Dell HTPC running openelec.

My question is simple, and extremely complicated for some reason. I have a rather large DVD & BluRay (2D & 3D) collection, which I can no longer watch. My initial thought was to purchase an internal LG Blu-Ray writer and install it into my HTPC and then I would be able to use my HTPC to watch my discs, but it seems that XBMC does not support BluRay playback.

So then I thought I would just buy a Samsung 3D BluRay player, and that would be it. 1 remote for both the TV and BDP. However, the Samsung BD-F5500 & BD-F6500 doesn't encode/decode DTS-HD Master Audio.

Because of my location, I am rather limited by the shops that sell BPD's in my area. Game only stocks the Samsungs, and 2 other local shops have the Sony bdp-s4100 and LG BP325 for roughly the same price.

I am about 1 hour from CPT, so I can go buy something there, but have no idea where to start looking?

Does anyone on here have an internal BluRay player in his/her HTPC? What software do you use?

Does anyone have either of these BDPs? Which one can you recommend?

I phoned Tafelberg Furnishers, and they have the Sony bpd-S5200 for R1000 more than the S4100. Which one would you advice.

I will not be using the BDP for streaming or the Smart features.

What about a PS3?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.