Author Topic: Media, motherboards, HDMI and audio  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Enigma_2k4

Media, motherboards, HDMI and audio
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
Hi all,

In my gaming PC my mobo recently verekked so I am considering my options. Now instead of getting a new mobo for the PC I could just steal the mobo from my media machine (both are core 2 duo CPU's using Intels LGA775 socket) and then get a better motherboard for the media machine....

I have some questions, if for example I had to get a board with HDMI and sound outputs (like this), given that I have a seperate GFX card (Nvidia 9600GT) and sound card (Creative X-Fi extreme audio) would I be able to get the full sound and graphics output thru the motherboards HDMI port?

I am currently using the Creative X-fi's analogue outputs to the AVR and it's all OK, but I have been having serious challenges getting the low frequencies directed thru the subs when listening in stereo mode so this might now be an option and then I can bin (or donate to a good home) the X-Fi.... What do you all think?

Offline ara

Re: Media, motherboards, HDMI and audio
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
The HDMI port is for the onboard GPU and you can't use your GPU's "power" to pass the signal to that HDMI port. Also not the sound. Your best option is to buy a normal motherboard and a later gen GPU like an AMD HD5570 or something like that. They support audio over HDMIand they even support bitstream -ing of audio over the HDMI ports in the GPU.

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
The HDMI port is for the onboard GPU and you can't use your GPU's "power" to pass the signal to that HDMI port. Also not the sound. Your best option is to buy a normal motherboard and a later gen GPU like an AMD HD5570 or something like that. They support audio over HDMIand they even support bitstream -ing of audio over the HDMI ports in the GPU.

Crap! That's exactly what I thought..... LOL

So I'd need to flog off the old GPU, get a new one, and still get a mobo for the other PC.... LOL, this is going to be a mission!

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »
My humble 0.02 R on the options:

Cheapest:
Modern motherboards have GPU/Audio chipsets with full HDMI support. Even the current generation of Intel HD-branded chipsets is more than capable of full HD playback. No need for additional GPU card.

Alternative:
the later(ish) generation of ATi will give you the full audio-chipset on GPU card, and that is now quite cheap and seems well supported.
Later(ish) NVidia cards have the SPDIF in-port, requiring your MB to provide the SPDIF input to GPU card, which will then integrate the digital bitstream with video and push it all through the HDMI.

Ultimately, it all depends on the OS platform and media software you use to put the HTPC hardware to full use.

Hope this helps...

Now, about that Creative X-Fi...? ;)
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline ara

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
Cheapest:
Modern motherboards have GPU/Audio chipsets with full HDMI support. Even the current generation of Intel HD-branded chipsets is more than capable of full HD playback. No need for additional GPU card.

Except I don't think Intel is capable of bitstream the Blu-Ray HD Audio formats like DTS-MA and TrueHD. Might be wrong but the ATI 5-series which you can also get as an all-in-one motherboard is capable of these formats. The advantage of having a dedicated GPU is that they are more powerful, you get lost of them that are passively cooled and they handle more of the "processing". This enable you to run a lower powered CPU that you can also passively cool. Then you use a USB stick or SSD for the OS drive and some nice quite WDC Green Drives for storage. Then you only need some 120mm fans that run at 600-800rpm and you have a near quite experience :). Passively cooled PSU is an added bonus.

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
Yeah, look, I know that I do need to spend some moolah getting it all right and stuff, I just really don't want to do that because I am AVR hunting at the moment and that's where are spare cash is directed....

So for now, will spend R300/R400 getting a replacement mobo for the gaming rig and chuck that in, format and carry on.

In the coming year or so I think I will make some changes, especially to the media machine, but I am also considering trying to make a media machine that's also a file server (ie. NAS) and BT machine, so need to be efficient, cool, etc. I would look at everything, the AMD GPU option (or potentially Fusion if it comes along nicely) vs. Intel and onboard GFX + audio....

Offline tmavf

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
Except I don't think Intel is capable of bitstream the Blu-Ray HD Audio formats like DTS-MA and TrueHD. Might be wrong

Indeed you are  :D (wrong)
Core i3/i5 with a H55/7 mobo will bitstream DTS-MA and TrueHD.... blu ray video playback is not bad either.

Offline FunkyB

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
In the coming year or so I think I will make some changes, especially to the media machine, but I am also considering trying to make a media machine that's also a file server (ie. NAS) and BT machine, so need to be efficient, cool, etc. I would look at everything, the AMD GPU option (or potentially Fusion if it comes along nicely) vs. Intel and onboard GFX + audio....

I see the AMD Fusion boards are now available locally and just saw this flyer from Frontosa for the Sapphire version. Has everything on you need for an efficient & cool media PC .. even a Radeon HD6310. Dealers price is just under R1500 incl VAT.