Large rear loaded horn speakers - Winders

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow forum member, Winders last night.

The reason for my post is that I had a listen to his rear loaded horn speakers - my first time listening to a speaker of this nature.

These days it's very difficult to find a speaker that impresses me overly much - I have heard and built too many to become overly exited by most things.  That was the general trend until I heard these huge horns last night. 

The mid/bass these speakers produce is astonishing!  Not good, or grand, or great, or fantastic, but astonishing.  If your average run of the mill name brand speakers which cost R 20k score a 2 for mid/bass, and a good HE bass reflex system scores a 9, then these horns score a 25.  The impact, speed, and accuracy of the mid/bass is so good that I just don't know what else to say about it.

The best thing of the lot, is that Winders made his own drivers.  Home made field coil magnet being powered by a DIY 150V valve power supply, wound his own voicecoils, made the cones, etc.

While I didn't strictly enjoy everything I heard, I am blown away completely by the good parts - clean, crisp, immediacy, transient response, etc.  Nothing else comes close - to be honest most things fall far short.

All I can say is that I am extremely impressed by all of this!  Well done Winders - you have opened my eyes (and ears) to an aspect of hifi I never knew existed.

Perhaps you could post a picture of 2 of these monsters for others to see?

Cheers,
Ian.

Latest posts