Author Topic: Sony WF-1000XM4  (Read 360 times)

Offline Juggy

Sony WF-1000XM4
« on: January 12, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »
Does anyone have a pair and can share their thoughts?

I am considering upgrading my Anker Zolo's and think these would be a great replacement

They will be used for sport, Teams/Zoom meetings and listening to music on my laptop/desktop.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:25:57 AM by Juggy »

Online FranZAR

Re: Sony WF-1000XM4
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 09:19:01 AM »
Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline stephanvanzyl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 10:06:57 AM »
My thoughts:

I've had the XM3 model and was very happy with them... the only issues I had was the battery life. I wanted something a little better than 6 hours. At the time I knew it was asking a bit too much considering all the tech built in, but that's just me.

Then also it started getting loose from my ears after a couple of minutes and then I had to re-insert them for a better seal.

The only quirk I noticed about the XM3 was that in order to get the best sound quality (enhanced bass and treble) you have to enable the noise cancelling in the Sony app, but this reduces the battery by about 2 hours... and there is a significant difference.

The XM4 has 8 hours battery life with noise cancelling on and around 12 hours with noise cancelling off... and best of all... the sound quality stays the same.

The charging case is good for 2 charges and is much smaller than the XM3.

I got my hands on 4 sets and wanted to sell all 4, but after listening to them I decided to keep a set for myself.

Yes, they sound phenominal, they can go loud and the bass quality is excellent. The best I've heard so far. And one thing I love about them is that they sit tight in my ears without getting loose... obviously you need to used the correct size eartips supplied.

I love them... I think they really are the best on the market currently.

I still have 2 sets left if you're interested...

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline Juggy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »
My thoughts:

I've had the XM3 model and was very happy with them... the only issues I had was the battery life. I wanted something a little better than 6 hours. At the time I knew it was asking a bit too much considering all the tech built in, but that's just me.

Then also it started getting loose from my ears after a couple of minutes and then I had to re-insert them for a better seal.

The only quirk I noticed about the XM3 was that in order to get the best sound quality (enhanced bass and treble) you have to enable the noise cancelling in the Sony app, but this reduces the battery by about 2 hours... and there is a significant difference.

The XM4 has 8 hours battery life with noise cancelling on and around 12 hours with noise cancelling off... and best of all... the sound quality stays the same.

I got my hands on 4 sets and wanted to sell all 4, but after listening to them I decided to keep a set for myself.

Yes, they sound phenominal, they can go loud and the bass quality is excellent. The best I've heard so far. And one thing I love about them is that they sit tight in my ears without getting loose... obviously you need to used the correct size eartips supplied.

Excellent, thank you very much for your thoughts. I think I will pull the trigger then

I will probably land up purchasing off of Amazon as I have a fairly large credit for an item I returned recently.

Offline stephanvanzyl

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:14:15 AM »
Great... You won't be disappointed.

Offline The Eschatologist

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »
My thoughts:

Is the sound quality much better on the 4's compared to the XM3's? That's the main deciding factor for me to upgrade or not. I would upgrade in a heartbeat if they had changed the touch buttons on the right side to solid buttons, those touch pads are really bad for media navigating

Offline stephanvanzyl

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 11:45:30 AM »
The bass is definitly better and the mids are lifted very slightly... but remeber that you can set your preferred sound in the Sony app as well. They are a bit louder as well. The thing I like most is the better battery life and that they fit better and stay put in the ears.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:29:54 PM »
Ok, shot for the information. I may go to a store and to a comparison in that case. I mainly use them on my PC rather than phone though. Not sure if there's a version of the app to EQ on desktop?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Great... You won't be disappointed.

I have ordered mine, should arrive around the 19th so I'll post my opinion a week or 2 after that.

I am going from Anker Zolo Liberty+ which, including charging case have 100 hours of listening time. The sound is OK but they aren't comfortable in my ears. I have tried a few different ear fittings but none seem to be a great fit.

Offline Charl4e

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 01:04:09 PM »
A bit late, but I would not mind hearing if others experience the same...
I had the XM3 and sold them after one or two uses. - Never felt comfortable for long, no matter how I fitted them.
I absolutely love In Ears, had some excellent Sennheisers in the past - these sounded fantastic and I could use them for hours at a time.
My comment or observation, I think the bluetooth types are simply too heavy - fundamentally flawed... until we learn how to make them superlight, they will annoy more people than they please.
A bit likes shoes, the most comfy ones are usually the lighter ones.

Technically, I thought they were very impressive.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
I've been using the XM3's for about 2 years, sometimes wearing it for the whole workday. Coming from the B&W PX and P7 before, the Sony's were way more comfortable. So yeah it seems to be a different head shape thing rather than the phones themselves, much like fitting shoes as you say  :thinking:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:50:56 PM by The Eschatologist »