Author Topic: Sonos HT Setup vs "Traditional" HT  (Read 246 times)

Offline AshDeano

Sonos HT Setup vs "Traditional" HT
« on: November 24, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
Hi All
Thoughts on moving from a "traditional wired speaker setup" to Sonos eco-system of multi-room audio.
Situation - moving into an open plan home that doesn't cater for a dedicated HT, and the wife has bought into the "less is more" nonsense.
I understand that you're never going to achieve the same levels of sound quality but I fear that part of my life is over... for now :)
Thanks for sharing thoughts or suggestions.

Offline KenMasters

Re: Sonos HT Setup vs "Traditional" HT
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 05:07:31 PM »
I have a few friends with Sonos systems, they seem to work well. Nice thing is you could take your surrounds and place them in other spots around the house - or conversely, have the audio distributed, but when you feel like a proper HT experience, bring the other speakers into the living-room.

Offline Yossarian

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
If you have to go sound bar sonos is the way to go. I would add I have seems few set ups with a Sonos sound bar for media and then and amp and two small book shelves for stereo?

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:52:08 AM »
I am a big motivator to clients that they should build a room onto their house / above their garage / convert a spare bedroom to becoming a dedicated home cinema.
However

We have installed the Sonos Soundbar + One SL speakers as surround sound systems a few times before. Every time I hear the quality of the audio from this configuration I am impressed. I will admit, its not 5.1 surround sound like you would expect (by having front left and right speakers either side of your screen, etc), however its an excellent solution and all of my clients have been very happy with my recommendation to go down that route.

I would encourage you to visit this portfolio entry on my website, you can see that I used the Beam + One SL's for the main lounge and the ARC + One SL's for the small lounge. The client and his wife love it!:

https://www.mirroredgenetworks.com/portfolio/fresnaye-control4-sonos/

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Home Cinemas & Home Networks.
Cape Town based, but travel across SA to see clients.
Mobile: 0837004469
http://www.MirrorEdgeNetworks.com

Offline AshDeano

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 04:34:22 PM »
Thanks guys - bit the bullet and snagged me an arc and Gen 3 Sub. Really impressive for what they are.