Indoor house painter recommendations/advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinosfronimos

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all!

We have just bought our first house in Jhb (with invaluable advice coming from this forum), and move in early October.

We'd like to all paint walls & ceilings (white) inside, as it hasn't been done since 2008. Also, there are parquet floors, and the house will be almost entirely empty when painting. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, kitchen, and open plan dining room/lounge of about 140m2 under roof.

Minimizing cost is an important consideration, and we have about 1 week in which to complete it. We have also never done this before.

Can you please provide advice and/or realiable contacts?

Do we try do it ourselves? With some friends? How quickly could we do it? How many people?

Do we hire a professional painting outfit? (Any good contacts please?) Or a few chaps off the side of the road? How many? What's the going rate for a day?

Presumably we'd buy paint & maybe even brushes? Which brushes or rollers? Where best to buy from? How to determine how many liters of paint are needed? Or if we go for a professional contractor, do they just know best & get good prices on paint too?

While it will all be white paint (walls & ceilings), what is the best bang for buck paint (name/brand/type)? What can I expect to pay (per litre?)? On average how many square meters does a litre cover? Is one coat enough?

Do we go high gloss? Mid-gloss? Matt? What are the pros & cons of these? Are there other options? (We may decide to paint a coloured feature wall after 6 months). (also there is a fireplace which may let a little soot in over time).

I know it's a lot of questions, and all and any advice will help us decide how tackle this (we don't have the budget to throw money at the problem more than once).

Much appreciated!

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Latest posts