Author Topic: The real value of SA Audio  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Nikkel

Re: The real value of SA Audio
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2021, 08:53:18 PM »
I know I might be stepping on a few toes here (maybe all of them at once...) but why not approach our big gun in SA...Takealot? :flame:

Open up the "Audiophile" genre to the masses?

I know there'll be be pro's and cons but surely the exposure would hopefully be awesome...?

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
1+

I was going to post pictures of the Pathos and UR products but then I thought I should rather be polite in what is intended to be a constructive thread.  ;)

I think the real problem or challenge for the industry and perhaps even more so for SA manufacturers is that the competition is not amongst each other but against other categories of luxury products. How do we get a share of the discretionary wallet of the consumer? How do we make it sexy to buy hifi again? If we don't pay attention to industrial design then we have no hope at all to grow our industry. Fighting for a bigger slice of the cake is short-sighted and for sure a slow death strategy for the industry if we don't grow the market. Products with good aesthetic appeal give the industry a far better chance than mundane and unimaginative products.

People spend money on watches, cars, carpets, flat screen tvs, cameras, jewellery, handbags, computer bags and much more and that is where our attention should be and we should create products that are as aspirational as the best of these kinds of products. Think of how cooking and the ecosystem around this growing global theme is growing in leaps and bounds. Cooking and household wares are up there with the best designs.
But yes if you are a dedicated follower from all that count is the performance then this view and examples are irrelevant.

This too. When I was growing up, biting technics or pioneeer on my township was a status symbol. People that were buying these were not audiophile but people that wanted to show of their lounges as up to date with the right furniture and tech. People donít do that anymore. They rather spend their money on other luxury goods than hifi. This has seen a huge decrease in appeal of hifi. Sound are are taking over and only us here are buying hifi.
HT: Marantz AV7705|RMB1585|RMB156|RB956 Optoma UHD40| Nvidia Shield
Stereo: Mark Levinson No 380s, 335| Cary Audio 200 TS| Bluesound Node
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond|  B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers | 685 and DS3 surround |4x CCM

Offline joel

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »
Please keep comments coming ,I  can assure all that our manufacturers are all keeping an eye here

As far as the sales spiel goes, this is one of the main reasons to visit the Stereo Music Show.
Meet the manufacturers, tell them what you like and what you don't and find out from them why they do what they do.

I've also already started with some reviews of products and to into some of the design history of each product.
If I'm power I'll post these reviews here as well as on our site.

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline stereosane

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2021, 09:10:44 AM »
Another thing I've picked up but not so clued up as to the rules or laws surrounding it but some local products are not safe electrically.

I have a item which I sent in to get a small issue fixed but I opted to use a professional repair just to see what he had to say.... I so want to go more into detail on  this one especially as it really upset me!! Anyway the technician said he has never seen such poor work and that is was an electrical accident waiting to happen. They sent me pics of the internals and well it was just so disappointing, especially after the market talk about the quality of said items used in it!

I have to ask if your a designer of electrical.equipment how do you sell and design gear  when it's not passed any electrical safety checks or certification. Is this just not regulated in Audio or SA compared to overseas? I dread the thought of how many people have these items in there homes without knowing how dangerous they are..

Offline joel

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
Another thing I've picked up but not so clued up as to the rules or laws surrounding it but some local products are not safe electrically.

I have a item which I sent in to get a small issue fixed but I opted to use a professional repair just to see what he had to say.... I so want to go more into detail on  this one especially as it really upset me!! Anyway the technician said he has never seen such poor work and that is was an electrical accident waiting to happen. They sent me pics of the internals and well it was just so disappointing, especially after the market talk about the quality of said items used in it!

I have to ask if your a designer of electrical.equipment how do you sell and design gear  when it's not passed any electrical safety checks or certification. Is this just not regulated in Audio or SA compared to overseas? I dread the thought of how many people have these items in there homes without knowing how dangerous they are..

Not knowing what it is makes it a little difficult to comment.

However all those local products that are exported have to pass international standards.
Here ill mention VA, Reference Acoustics and Soor as they all are or have been sold internationally.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »

I have seen such products. Essentially DIY-level goods that have not gone through a proper product development process. It's mostly evident in products from manufacturers that are new on the market and some bespoke efforts.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline joel

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »

Your opinions of this.

Colour  is a lot more vivid in real life.

Offline stereosane

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »

However all those local products that are exported have to pass international standards.
Here ill mention VA, Reference Acoustics and Soor as they all are or have been sold internationally.

I don't want to mention names on here, I'd rather talk to them privately to Express my concerns and take it from there.

I though it a valid question though, makes sense that to export the items would need to pass certification, but for stuff sold locally by local manufacturers it seems it's not something that anyone really checks.

I think at the end of the day there needs to be some way to measure these local goods against other goods. Everytime a local manufacturer makes something it gets touted as the best value for money and we get asked why are locals so against local hifi and we need to support local more and so on... but then as the manufacture it's up to you to make sure that the product is complete. Provide measurements for your products or show us the safety certification, use proper packaging when sending goods off, provide a proper user manual instead of a few sheets of paper stapled together. Stick to your deadlines, I've got all my overseas purchases faster than the local stuff I've bought  :whip:

Building the amp or speaker or whatever item is only the first step, from there how you present your product to the public will be how your product is perceived by the public and is what will define you amongst the rest.

Most of the long standing local manufacturers here have most of that sorted out already  :dop: but a few need to sharpen up a bit.. I'm sure this thread will get some positive results. I most probably sound very critical of local stuff, but I can happily say I've owned 7 local items and want to support local where I can, but I need to know my product is safe and reliable.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:47:49 AM by stereosane »

Offline joel

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
Most of the long standing local manufacturers here have most of that sorted out already  :dop: but a few need to sharpen up a bit.. I'm sure this thread will get some positive results. I most probably sound very critical of local stuff, but I can happily say I've owned 7 local items and want to support local where I can, but I need to know my product is safe and reliable.

100000% Agree about safe and reliable. No one wants something that has the potential to blow up.

As far as supply goes, pretty much everyone at the show is working on this.

Sonor have all models in stock in the most popular veneers. Optional veneers take a little longer than one day delivery.
Reference Acoustics has TT's in stock.
VA have almost everything in stock. 
Lance Dixon has a few Xircles already.

Sonor can supply one with the actual response of your speakers and not some generalised design plot.
Most of the others can and will supply real world specs for their gear too.

As mentioned before much of the info will be on our site.

I should also mention that all the SA gear I own and have owned was because of performance first, value second and made in SA third.

This post probably makes it sound like Made in SA is first but this isn't the case.

A turd remains a turd no matter where its made.

Offline Pax

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • There is a crack in everything............
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2021, 11:04:14 AM »

Your opinions of this.

A matter of personal taste. For me.... :puke:

Offline Nidri

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2021, 11:27:22 AM »
Please keep comments coming.

Hi Joel.

I really applaud what you're doing with the Show.
Not just in terms of the SA audio industry, but also in terms of the economy in general.
Local production, in any industry, has to be considered a good thing, especially in these turmolic times.
I've also directly supported several local manufacturers, not because of the value of the offering,
but because I wanted to find out first hand how good the products really are.
(And undoubtedly we have some serious talent here in SA.)

The thing is, I'm an impulse buyer, but I believe that most people are more level-headed than I am.
They need to be pulled in by something.
What you're offering needs to be really compelling.
That's why the stories behind the brands are so important.

The 'story' could come from anywhere.
Who's involved in the brand? What is it about them that's unusual, or special?
What design methodologies do they follow, and why?
Is there something specific or interesting about the parts they use (or don't use)?
What is it that they do differently? What values do they stubbornly refuse to compromise?

Unless you can identify what that special thing is about your brand and you're able to communicate it,
you'll always risk being perceived as just another box of tricks.

As an example, these are my top-level associations with certain brands (right or wrong) and these 100% affect whether I buy into them.
Krell = Power, Class A
Rotel = Value, Reliability
KEF = Detail, Dual Concentric Drivers
Pathos & Unison = Italian, Hybrid, Wood
Volvo = Safe but Boring
Alfa Romeo = Sexy but Unreliable

I realise that our local brands don't have the marketing budgets to compete with the Harmans or Sound Uniteds of the world.
What I'm talking about doesn't have to cost a lot of money though.
It's about taking the time to clearly define what you stand for, in a memorable & honest way,
so that when people buy your product, they know what values they're buying into.

Anyway, that's my 2c worth.
Hope it's constructive in some small way.
Don't mean to push anyone's buttons.
The world is offended enough as it is.

* Disclaimer: Turmolic isn't a word. Not a real one anyway. I made it up.
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline naboo

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »

Your opinions of this.

I love the simplicity of it. I'll look at the colour at the  show. I would have, perhaps, contrasted the simplistic  design with some shiny bits, as is could be a bit boring - but wouldn't change the  design. Perhaps an elaborate tonearm would also match nicely. Don't know if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »
Hi Joel.

I really applaud what you're doing with the Show.
Not just in terms of the SA audio industry, but also in terms of the economy in general.
Local production, in any industry, has to be considered a good thing, especially in these turmolic times.
I've also directly supported several local manufacturers, not because of the value of the offering,
but because I wanted to find out first hand how good the products really are.
(And undoubtedly we have some serious talent here in SA.)

The thing is, I'm an impulse buyer, but I believe that most people are more level-headed than I am.
They need to be pulled in by something.
What you're offering needs to be really compelling.
That's why the stories behind the brands are so important.

The 'story' could come from anywhere.
Who's involved in the brand? What is it about them that's unusual, or special?
What design methodologies do they follow, and why?
Is there something specific or interesting about the parts they use (or don't use)?
What is it that they do differently? What values do they stubbornly refuse to compromise?

Unless you can identify what that special thing is about your brand and you're able to communicate it,
you'll always risk being perceived as just another box of tricks.

As an example, these are my top-level associations with certain brands (right or wrong) and these 100% affect whether I buy into them.
Krell = Power, Class A
Rotel = Value, Reliability
KEF = Detail, Dual Concentric Drivers
Pathos & Unison = Italian, Hybrid, Wood
Volvo = Safe but Boring
Alfa Romeo = Sexy but Unreliable

I realise that our local brands don't have the marketing budgets to compete with the Harmans or Sound Uniteds of the world.
What I'm talking about doesn't have to cost a lot of money though.
It's about taking the time to clearly define what you stand for, in a memorable & honest way,
so that when people buy your product, they know what values they're buying into.

Anyway, that's my 2c worth.
Hope it's constructive in some small way.
Don't mean to push anyone's buttons.
The world is offended enough as it is.

* Disclaimer: Turmolic isn't a word. Not a real one anyway. I made it up.
Having some idea of what Nidri does for a living, I can tell you that you should move the decimal point of his 2 cents at least 6 or 7 spaces to the left.
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy