Author Topic: Upward firing Atmos speakers.  (Read 249 times)

Offline yusufptl

Upward firing Atmos speakers.
« on: April 30, 2021, 11:42:28 PM »
Would you rather have the upward firing speakers on the front or the rears?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Offline KenMasters

Re: Upward firing Atmos speakers.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 07:37:28 AM »
The front, definitely.

Offline yusufptl

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 07:47:54 AM »
The front, definitely.
Currently have it that way. My room is 5x 3m and it currently laid out length wise with the screen on the short wall. Seating is really uncomfortable and I will be changing it to rather have the screen on the long wall.

When I do this I will most likely run audio cabling behind skirtings etc I might as well run extra cabling for the rears or ceiling  at the same time

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 02:25:17 PM »
It depends how far your seating position is from the speakers.

If your couch is right up against the rear wall with the surround basically behind you, having upward firing speakers on to of these surrounds will be meaningless.
However if sit closer to the fronts than to the surrounds (due to room layout) it may be better to have the Atmos up-firing speakers on top of the surrounds.

Is their no way you can install in-ceiling speakers for Atmos? They are definitely much better that the pseudo Atmos effect created by attempting to bounce sound off the ceiling.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
It depends how far your seating position is from the speakers.

If your couch is right up against the rear wall with the surround basically behind you, having upward firing speakers on to of these surrounds will be meaningless.
However if sit closer to the fronts than to the surrounds (due to room layout) it may be better to have the Atmos up-firing speakers on top of the surrounds.

Why? It seems to me, most of the important overhead effects come from the front, especially those dialogue driven e.g. the scene in the Breaking Bad movie where the guy talks from the top of the pit or in Stand By Me where the kids are hiding in the crawlspace and you hear the older kids above them.

Is their no way you can install in-ceiling speakers for Atmos? They are definitely much better that the pseudo Atmos effect created by attempting to bounce sound off the ceiling.

I agree that most of the time in-ceiling is better, but if you have particularly low ceilings, in-ceiling Atmos speakers can be a bit too directional. Enabled speakers can provide a more enveloping diffuse effect in the right situation.

Offline yusufptl

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
Why? It seems to me, most of the important overhead effects come from the front, especially those dialogue driven e.g. the scene in the Breaking Bad movie where the guy talks from the top of the pit or in Stand By Me where the kids are hiding in the crawlspace and you hear the older kids above them.

I agree that most of the time in-ceiling is better, but if you have particularly low ceilings, in-ceiling Atmos speakers can be a bit too directional. Enabled speakers can provide a more enveloping diffuse effect in the right situation.
My Avr is only 7 channel so can't have both.

In FiFA it's pretty cool it's sounds as though the commentator is above your head. Getting wire into the ceiling is a mission as I would need to clad or chase into the wall

Offline yusufptl

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
I do have a bulkhead that can accomodate speakers though