Author Topic: Thorens TD124/II project  (Read 633 times)

Offline johan.pretorius

Thorens TD124/II project
« on: April 02, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
The intention was to purchase this E50 motor as a spare for my TD124/II and TD135/II turntables. It would have been (and still is) the ideal guinea pig for a complete motor refurbishment.

The seller then offered me a TD124 chassis, idler wheel and platter at a price I could not refuse.

It turned out that it was more than just a bare chassis, the only significant missing parts are the step pulley and the aluminium top platter.

So, this will be the ideal opportunity to rebuilt this beauty.  I'm not sure whether I should aim for a pristine (museum) piece, or modify it slightly. Given that the other two tables are in very good condition, I may as well treat this as a DIY built...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:53:02 AM by johan.pretorius »
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline fredeb

Re: Thorens TD124/II project
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 09:01:58 AM »
Not cheap , but here is a new stepped pulley , at the bottom of the page : https://www.riversideaudio.ch/english/shop/mechanical-parts/

Looks like they're sold out though . Perhaps they will fabricate another .

Then you still need the stepped pulley bearing too .

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 09:07:32 AM by fredeb »
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »
Not cheap , but here is a new stepped pulley , at the bottom of the page : https://www.riversideaudio.ch/english/shop/mechanical-parts/

Looks like they're sold out though . Perhaps they will fabricate another .

Then you still need the stepped pulley bearing too .

Right, this is going to be challenging.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »
You can machine those bushes for cheap, a place in Germiston sells the stock.
They also referred me to a machinist to do it semi pricey, but now I just machine my own.
You could also give Iglidur or Vesconite a go, very cheap to try something new.
If my music is too loud, yours is too soft. :p

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:43:31 PM »
You can machine those bushes for cheap, a place in Germiston sells the stock.
They also referred me to a machinist to do it semi pricey, but now I just machine my own.
You could also give Iglidur or Vesconite a go, very cheap to try something new.
I'll get in touch, thank you for the info.

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »
Received from the UK (via myGermany.com) today :-)

So, it's now only a matter of sorting out a top platter, and the rebuild can start in all earnest.

Offline fredeb

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 05:13:00 AM »
Exciting stuff Johan . Thanks for the headsup re mygermany.com , bookmarked  ;D
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 08:05:16 AM »
Exciting stuff Johan . Thanks for the headsup re mygermany.com , bookmarked  ;D

They (myGermany) solve a number of problems (when buying from Europe):

- some eBay sellers don't want to ship outside of Germany or Europe (I picked up a number cassettes from eBay.de)
- they consolidate items, thereby saving shipping costs (especially on a batch of smaller items)
- they use UPS or FedEX door to door, essential for us

^ a gift indeed

Some cassettes in the same package

Offline fredeb

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
That is fantastic Johan . Do you mind me asking how much the shipping cost was ? Sounds like a smallish parcel . Shoebox size ?

Jan Smuts

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 03:38:52 PM »
That is fantastic Johan . Do you mind me asking how much the shipping cost was ? Sounds like a smallish parcel . Shoebox size ?

I try not to think too much about the shipping costs, but here goes...

A bit larger, the dimensions of the box is 22 x 15 x 38 cm - it cost about 99 euro plus R800 on this side (customs with a handling fee). But it was quick, shipping was arranged on Friday, the parcel arrived on Thursday.

To put it in perspective: the package contained the stepped pulley in it's original packaging with protection (marked as a gift by the seller, it was shipped from the UK to Germany), and about 50 cassettes. Still totally worth it, since I got the stepped pulley at a very good price, same with the cassettes.

There is a shipping cost calculator on their site: https://mygermany.com/shipping-cost-calculator/

Offline fredeb

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »
Sounds about right , obviously worth it when item cost is higher .

Thanks Johan
Jan Smuts

Offline MusicMan_ZA

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 11:15:11 AM »
Great project - enjoy!
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 12:31:06 PM »
shipping was arranged on Friday, the parcel arrived on Thursday.

That is extremely fast, You already had the parts/casettes, just wanted the shipping papers?

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
That is extremely fast, You already had the parts/casettes, just wanted the shipping papers?

Let me explain in more detail: I've bought some cassettes (Type II, new and used) from eBay.de over a period of time, and then found the stepped pulley (in the UK, also on eBay for  $84.75).  It was then also shipped to myGermany (took about a week via Royal Air Mail, the custom declaration photo was for this parcel). 

Once received, all items were consolidated, and sent in a single parcel via UPS. And it is this parcel that took less than a week to arrive.