Author Topic: Polk RTi A7 vs Bentley FS-150  (Read 554 times)

Offline Orcish75

Polk RTi A7 vs Bentley FS-150
« on: January 23, 2021, 10:14:01 PM »
Yes, yes, I know, I know, yet ANOTHER speaker A vs speaker B question, ďGo listen to the #$%^!@ speakers and make up your own mind!Ē I fully agree with that statement, but please hear me out.  I want to upgrade the Mission MV-8e fronts that I currently have with something bigger and bolder, they have served me very well over the years and really enjoyed them.

Iíll be using the speakers for HT the vast majority of the time, with some occasional casual stereo listening and certainly not for critical listening. Iíve narrowed down the choice to the Polk RTi A7 and Bentley FS-150. The specs are very similar, the Polks have two 7Ē bass drivers, a 6.5Ē mid and a silk dome tweeter. The Bentleys have two 8Ē bass drivers, a 5Ē mid and also a silk dome tweeter.

https://www.polkaudio.com/en/floor-standing-towers/rtia7

https://www.bentleyacoustics.com/copy-of-fr100-3

Now this is where the differences are an unknown to me, from what Iíve read, the Polks need a decent amount of power to shine, the majority of AVRs just donít cut it. Are the Bentleys just as power hungry, or do they do reasonably well with your average AVR? Iím sure the Bentleys will do better with an external power amp, will I need to get something like the Rotel RMB-1075 (120W/ channel, 8 ohms) or will the Rotel RMB-1048 (40W/channel, 8 ohms) be sufficient?

Are the mids and tweeters in the Bentleys in a separate chamber from the bass drivers? Not that it really matters, just curious to know.

Iím leaning towards the Polks, purely because Iíve heard them before and liked the powerful, bold presentation. They were powered by an external 200W NAD power amp (canít remember the model now) and sounded really good to me. The Bentleys have huge praise on the forum and certainly look the part, so Iím really keen to check them out too, I just havenít had the opportunity to listen to them yet.

Offline GECO

Re: Polk RTi A7 vs Bentley FS-150
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 10:58:15 PM »
Bentley can be driven by any amp. The mids and tweeters are separate from the rest as far as i can remember

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 11:22:39 PM »
Yes, yes, I know, I know, yet ANOTHER speaker A vs speaker B question, ďGo listen to the #$%^!@ speakers and make up your own mind!Ē I fully agree with that statement, but please hear me out.  I want to upgrade the Mission MV-8e fronts that I currently have with something bigger and bolder, they have served me very well over the years and really enjoyed them.

Iíll be using the speakers for HT the vast majority of the time, with some occasional casual stereo listening and certainly not for critical listening. Iíve narrowed down the choice to the Polk RTi A7 and Bentley FS-150. The specs are very similar, the Polks have two 7Ē bass drivers, a 6.5Ē mid and a silk dome tweeter. The Bentleys have two 8Ē bass drivers, a 5Ē mid and also a silk dome tweeter.

https://www.polkaudio.com/en/floor-standing-towers/rtia7

https://www.bentleyacoustics.com/copy-of-fr100-3

Now this is where the differences are an unknown to me, from what Iíve read, the Polks need a decent amount of power to shine, the majority of AVRs just donít cut it. Are the Bentleys just as power hungry, or do they do reasonably well with your average AVR? Iím sure the Bentleys will do better with an external power amp, will I need to get something like the Rotel RMB-1075 (120W/ channel, 8 ohms) or will the Rotel RMB-1048 (40W/channel, 8 ohms) be sufficient?

Are the mids and tweeters in the Bentleys in a separate chamber from the bass drivers? Not that it really matters, just curious to know.

Iím leaning towards the Polks, purely because Iíve heard them before and liked the powerful, bold presentation. They were powered by an external 200W NAD power amp (canít remember the model now) and sounded really good to me. The Bentleys have huge praise on the forum and certainly look the part, so Iím really keen to check them out too, I just havenít had the opportunity to listen to them yet.
Where are you based? I havenít heard the polks.
Iím Currently running Bentley Acoustics 150ís in my HT off my marantz 5012 AVR (normally off a Golden theatre 3x200w power amp) but thatís currently being serviced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:44:18 AM »
ok now i need to not be seen as bias...everyone know i sel Bentley and im part of the team so best will be come for a demo. When i started this game i was a huge Polk fanboy but i have since moved on.

Bentley can be driven by any amp as Geco stated very easy to drive. Where are you based?

Roodepoort i see, you are right by me. Drop me a pm and lets do a coffee.

Offline Orcish75

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 01:06:36 PM »
Bentley can be driven by any amp. The mids and tweeters are separate from the rest as far as i can remember

Thanks Geco! :thumbs: I still want to get an external amp in the future, if the AVR can drive them decently well,  I can put off the amp purchase for a while.

Offline Orcish75

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
Where are you based? I havenít heard the polks.
Iím Currently running Bentley Acoustics 150ís in my HT off my marantz 5012 AVR (normally off a Golden theatre 3x200w power amp) but thatís currently being serviced

I'm in Strubens Valley, Roodepoort. The Polk setup was one of my client's, he sold the Polks a couple of years ago. He just wasn't using the HT system, preferred to just use the TV speakers.  :nfi:

Nice! :thumbs: How does the Marantz cope? Does the Golden Theatre make a big difference?

Offline Orcish75

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 01:20:35 PM »
ok now i need to not be seen as bias...everyone know i sel Bentley and im part of the team so best will be come for a demo. When i started this game i was a huge Polk fanboy but i have since moved on.

Bentley can be driven by any amp as Geco stated very easy to drive. Where are you based?

Roodepoort i see, you are right by me. Drop me a pm and lets do a coffee.

Well, I've read many comments on the forum that the Bentleys are seriously good, so even if you are a bit biased, it's probably justified  :2thumbs:

Excellent, good to know, I'll still get a power amp at a later stage to do whichever speaker I choose, justice.

Yup, I'm in Roodepoort, I'll drop you a PM and make a plan to have some coffee!

Online Zx14

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 01:54:07 PM »
As a long time Polk RTI-A7 owner, driving with a Onkyo TX-NR 805, I would seriously advise you to take @BiZKiT  up on his offer and audition the Bentleys before making any decisions.
Errol Cornelius

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
I'm in Strubens Valley, Roodepoort. The Polk setup was one of my client's, he sold the Polks a couple of years ago. He just wasn't using the HT system, preferred to just use the TV speakers.  :nfi:

Nice! :thumbs: How does the Marantz cope? Does the Golden Theatre make a big difference?
Having had them running off the Marantz for over a week, they certainly donít require the power amp. The AVR is sufficient. But adding a power amp did add a couple more levels of headroom.

I am VERY happy with them in my HT, but then I am a fan of Bentley Acoustics

Morne will be your best to be able to do comparative  side by side comparison youíre welcome to come for a listen at my place to get a feel for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station