Need help with speaker build...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zilch

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So some time ago I decided to design a pair of speakers for myself.  The speakers not only had to meet my design criteria, but also sound good.

Here are a list of things I wanted in my pair of speakers...
- Has to be compact
- Must sound awesome!
- It has to look really good
- Must be at least 96dB efficient
- MUST NOT DISTORT

And if those design goals are met, then I don't really care about bass.  They are also supposed to be in a far-field situation, so despite the fact that they are compact, they're not really for near-field usage.

So with all of that in mind, I set about to look for really good drivers.  And good drivers I found.  I was looking through the "Stupid old man with a few good ideas" thread, and I found the Beyma 12E120, and FaitalPRO FD371.  The drivers are perfect for my usage!

The cabinet I designed is tuned to 87Hz, with an internal volume of 27.87 liters.  However, with the drivers' displacement and internal bracing's volume subtracted I get 19.21 liters.

With all of that, I do only get an F3 of 90Hz (and F6 of 80Hz, so quite steep), but this should give us very, very little distortion!

I'm open to any suggestions and advice, in fact I might need it ;D

Plans and cutting list should come in a minute...

Edit...
I should probably mention that in my WinISD simulations the speakers are 98dB efficent!

Latest posts