Valve amps On, no Speakers connected

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan_ZA

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some advice please, esteemed Forum members and valve fundis:

I have read / heard numerous times that a valve amp should not be on when there are no speakers connected.
And I would not want to do that anyway.

However, I would like to know - should this happen - does it mean "while there is an input signal"
(as in something playing "into" the amp), or NO-NEVER, not even when there is nothing connected to the input?

The reason I am asking: last night I went into the lounge, at about 11pm, and saw that my two valve mono blocks were on!
No input connected, and no speakers connected.
All transformers were warm/hot (as they would be after about 4-6 hours playing).

This was completely my fault, as I unplugged everything from the amps, and switched the power off at the wall.
But I left the amps plugged into the PDU!
My cleaner vacuumed in the room early yesterday morning, and must have plugged the Hoover into the same PDU,
and switched it on at the wall. And left it on.

I reconnected my TT and pre-amp this morning, and played music using the valve mono blocks for about 2 hours.
Everything seems ok, and everything sounds right, so I am hoping there is no issue - just a few extra hours of valve use.

Is this correct, based on the info provided, or should I be worried?
Should I check anything else?

Thanks,
Johan

Latest posts