Any headphone 'modders' here?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankshaft

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
With the arrival of new pair of Brainwavz XL memory foam/PU pads, I have been able to complete the mods to an old pair of JVC HARX700 headphones.

What I like most about these 700's is the comfort due, in my case, to the large ear-cups and perfect clamping force.

Mods:

1.  Removed 80% of the felt ring in front of the drivers.  When peeling off, an small amount remains.  I reckon this is better than no felt - but will get back to this in a moment.

2.  Small pieces of Wurth sound-deadening material (Dynamat?) were stuck inside the housings where I thought were good spots.

3.  A small quantity of soft brushed wool (not synthetic) was placed in the chamber behind the drivers.

4.  Lastly, the new Brainwavz XL pads were fitted.

So, how do they sound?

As I made the classic mistake of not doing an immediate before and after comparison, I will have to rely on audio memory:  Mids and treble and clear and open, bass is good and tight compared to stock.

Whilst I like the loud and clear treble, it's now a bit bright.  Wondering if foam rings as used on the AKG K7.. series headphones may be an idea.  Does anyone have a source of the rings or material to make a set?

As the new pads are quite thick, the bass response is less than I was hoping.  It is also possible that the wool stuffing is killing the bass.  Although I put in a minimal amount, I may experiment by removing some.

The 'cans' are busy 'burning' in at high volume wrapped in an old sleeping bag at home.
Hoping the highs will mellow and the bass will bloom.

These are connected to a Nuforce HAP100 amplifier - not the warmest operator in town.

Latest posts