New bookshelf/standmount build. WARNING: Beginner

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereophile

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I am looking to build a set of bookshelf speakers in the 9-10 litre range.

This will be a first build for me so I won't try anything exotic, but here are my parameters:

1. I do like the average rear ported bookshelf speakers that I've heard, but sealed will be more versatile for me, how will this affect the sound?
2. Definitely two way.
3. Not too bright/brittle sounding. If this can be fixed with a crossover, cool, but perhaps it is better to get a more mellow tweeter from the start.
4. The drivers can't be too expensive. R600 a driver is too much. I can manage R500/R600 or so for the mid/bass and tweeters per speaker, so no Seas I suppose. I was looking for something between the nasty stuff and the R900 a driver Seas stuff, and I would really appreciate some help in this regard.

So, what is the sequence that I will do this in? Do I get the drivers first then figure out the exact enclosure size based on the drivers, build it, then make a crossover? Play it and fine tune it?

Is it possible for a complete novice that barely knows how to solder to build a crossover?

What is the average cost of a crossover?

Latest posts