Author Topic: Setting up a NAS using Ubuntu Server  (Read 20994 times)

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Setting up a NAS using Ubuntu Server
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
So I figured I'd post a link to a little How-To that I've put together in getting it done. This is a very first rough draft, please be so kind as to give any suggestions on making it more useful. I'm hoping that there'll be enough people inspired to go and put their own NAS's together and so we should be able get better configurations together.

http://www.studiob.co.za/setupnas.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:43:23 PM by gbyleveldt »
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • :-)
    • Turntable repairs Cape Town
Re: Setting up a NAS using Ubuntu Server
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
Nice guide... although I must say that 'CLI' kinda puts me off... Then again without the overhead of a GUI the machine should be pretty fast...

What hardware are you using? Can I bring my ol' 486 down from the cupboard to give it a go?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »
Nice work mast'a! Thanks for this, it'll sure help quite a few people.

If I may ask - what exactly put you off FreeNAS?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
Can I bring my ol' 486 down from the cupboard to give it a go?
Hehe, that might be a little optimistic ;D

The big reason for having it CLI based is to limit bloat and overhead. I'd imagine there'd also be some benefit in power consumption. What makes Ubuntu Server better than, say, FreeNAS is that you have infinite flexibility. Yes, it's not as pretty or straightforward, but once you can copy what someone else did, it should do much easier. Another thing that irked me with FreeNAS was that you were buggered with bleeding edge hardware. Because FreeNAS was a generation behind on BSD you were forced to use older hardware to make sure the OS supports it. With Ubuntu it'll support whatever is out there, there's no abstraction between you and the OS.

I figured this should resonate with a bunch of you here, esp those running Media streamers and squeezeboxes. This is about as frugal as you can go for an always-on solution.

For reference, I've gone for a build that'll use as little power as possible. I'm using a Celeron 430 CPU, this has a total TDP of around 40W if I'm not mistaken. When idle, the CPU draws less than half that. I still need to measure the consumption, but I think I'm at around 40W in total for the whole box. This includes the 4 2TB HDD's and 2GB of RAM. I'm still experimenting with getting the drives to spin down as well to save me that extra little bit of juice.

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
If I may ask - what exactly put you off FreeNAS?

I alluded to it above, but the hardware support is the biggest issue I had. This, and the fact that FreeNAS is now in limbo going over to FreeNAS 8. This is really a new application as everything is being re-written.

I was also having throughput issues using Realtek NICs on FreeNAS. Running Ubuntu I'm getting almost linespeed (I've seen almost 90MB/s transfers on big files)

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
90Mbs! Wow!!!

Let me talk to Ara... ;)
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline ara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »
90Mbs! Wow!!!

Let me talk to Ara... ;)

Yes I'm listening...  ;D Do you want FreeNAS 7, FreeNAS 8 RC4 but it is already 100% usable or do you want Ubuntu  :D

@gbyleveldt

what no ZFS and no NFS  ;)?

Online Prince

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:28:10 PM »
I alluded to it above, but the hardware support is the biggest issue I had. This, and the fact that FreeNAS is now in limbo going over to FreeNAS 8. This is really a new application as everything is being re-written.

I was also having throughput issues using Realtek NICs on FreeNAS. Running Ubuntu I'm getting almost linespeed (I've seen almost 90MB/s transfers on big files)

-I can concur on the slow throughput speeds of freeNAS. Guess what I will be doing in the next couple of weeks...
Thanx for the guide Gert!!

:)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
Yes I'm listening...  ;D Do you want FreeNAS 7, FreeNAS 8 RC4 (mmmmhh...?) but it is already 100% usable or do you want Ubuntu  :D

@gbyleveldt

what no ZFS and no NFS  ;)?
I'll leave it to you 2 geeks to fight it out  :D :D ;D

...popcorn coming...

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »

That is copying from what to what? I must say I have never experienced any hardware problems with FreeNAS or slow throughput (maybe not as fast a Ubuntu server) but still not slow. The thing I like the most is that you can setup FreeNAS for someone and then just let it be and they can continue configuring it further without stuffing it up. Just today helped a collegue to get get going in about an hour and showed him all the options and what he can do, etc. What I do want to do though is play around with virtual machines on Ubuntu

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
I'll leave it to you 2 geeks to fight it out  :D :D ;D

...popcorn coming...

Are you sturing  ;D... I'm just asking where is the HOWTO for ZFS and NFS. I'm sure he can quickly update it for us  ;)

The only hardware issue I ever had (and which I know about) is the realtek issue which I just avoid. For me though ease of setup and configuring is just such a big plus I have never had any speed issues. I always copy form USB drive via a computer to the NAS and there I always get 30-35MB/s which is pretty much the limitation of any USB2 device.

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
what no ZFS and no NFS  ;)?

I must be honest that I've not tried ZFS yet. I come from the bad old RAID days, so I stick with what I know. I also believe that ZFS on Ubuntu is still not on the same level as Solaris or netBSD. I will try it one day, as I like the fact that you can grow your volumes as you want.

I used to have NFS setup for the Mede8er when I ran FreeNAS as that worked better than Samba. But with Ubuntu I'm not getting these issues so haven't felt the need. Besides, NFS means little if you run a Windows network ;)

That is copying from what to what? I must say I have never experienced any hardware problems with FreeNAS or slow throughput (maybe not as fast a Ubuntu server) but still not slow.

This was a plain copy from the Ubuntu RAID5 volume to the SSD on my main machine. The poor FreeNAS performance I lay squarely at the borked Realtek NIC support in BSD 6 (and less than ideal Samba implementation on BSD).

The thing I like the most is that you can setup FreeNAS for someone and then just let it be and they can continue configuring it further without stuffing it up. Just today helped a collegue to get get going in about an hour and showed him all the options and what he can do, etc.

Yes, Ubuntu CLI is not pretty. But I vested less time into getting a purring Ubuntu box than I did with slamming my head against the wall trying to get FreeNAS to work the way I wanted. And I did run FreeNAS for over 5 months.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:48:58 PM by gbyleveldt »

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Are you sturing  ;D...
Dzinggg - Round-1 finished
Dzinggg - Round-2: ...

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »
NFS is also fine for Windows  ;). Before FreeNAS I ran NFS file shares from my Windows PC, but I mostly use it with the mede8er. ZFS on the other hand is great and that is one of the main reasons I tend to keep with FreeNAS. For me it was the opposite though. I installed FreeNAS about 7 months ago and had just left it since.

gbyleveldt do you know whether you can configure something like rSync from the Webmin console?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:05:35 PM by ara »

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
NFS is also fine for Windows  ;).

Natively? I didn't know that...

gbyleveldt do you know whether you can configure something like rSync from the Webmin console?

At what point did I give you the impression I'm an expert? :D I don't even know what rSync is :D :D :D I must admit, as I understand Linux better I find there's more things I tend to do in the CLI than using a pretty GUI. Besides, real men type, they don't click.