Lockdown oopsie

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I apologise for the weak thread title. It is missing a word that I suspect the mods won't like.

I just finished making this sled for for my router. Purpose is to flatten uneven surfaces and perhaps also make some interesting shapes. With a limited choice of materials available, I was happy with how it was turning out. The router could practically glide back and forth thanks to the low friction surface of the laminated chip board and the melamine strips I had glued on.

SledL.jpg

But I celebrated too soon. On the final cut of the long slot, I had clamped the assembly to the edge of my work bench so that the router bit would not cut into the table top. I removed the clamps and... it flipped and fell onto the ground!  :Ooooooh: The chipboard cracked and the sled is no longer flat. This just reminded me how fragile chip board is and that I should ideally have used plywood. I don't have a large enough piece of ply, but I'll try and patch together some pieces.

SledZ.jpg