Rega Planar 2 wood trim with modern arm.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croak

R.I.P. 28 June 2021
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/0A2MBm_snOA

Armless turntables come round quite often. Buying a new arm for them seldom makes commercial sense.  Rega based turntables often have their arms robbed because the arms have been one of their main strengths and is probably the most valuable part. 

Sometimes the Planars align and I ended up trading an OEM Rega arm for a fair price.  Shortly thereafter a tidy Planar 2 sans arm came up for sale.  It was the older style one.  The one with the timber trim.  I quite like the timber trim in the right setting, I don?t like the R200 arm quite as much. 
I always wanted to set up a classic planar 2 wood trim with a modern Rega arm, and now the Planars aligned. 

The new arms mount with 3 screws on a flange, not the old nut on the arm post/boss. 

I have had a special tool made to dril this pcd pattern accurately.  It?s shown in one of the images below. 

6950cbc1997ecd697b0be0c32b439774.jpg

Next up is preventative, the resistor and capacitor on the motor were fine but I feel that 30-40 years it?s wise to replace these components to prevent failure once the deck gets use. 

fbd9fed7563dc80580b68709f4d9ef16.jpg

Fitted a cartridge, the lovely Sumiko Olympia and aligned it all and made a video of the deck playing.