Fix bakkie or sell as is ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenoizeguy

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi.
I thought I might ask here for advice on whether I should repair a vehicle, or sell it as is ?

The vehicle in question is a 2005 Nissan Hardbody 2.4  DC. I bought it in 2006 with 9000km on the clock and used it almost daily as my work vehicle and to take my MX bike to tracks on weekends. My only costs were tyres and brake pads and a service every 10000km which i did myself. It has been 100% reliable from the day that I bought it.
2 months ago, I decided that I needed an automatic due to Jhb traffic being a left foot killer in peak hours ( and I'm over 50 ! ), so I bought a Forester XT to use as a daily, and give the bakkie a cosmetic fix up before I put her up for sale.

3 weeks ago, I was off to CT for work, so decided that I would rather leave the bakkie at OR for 3 days, and also just to give it a run.
Needless to say, It never made it. The head gasket went just before the Edenvale offramp and I managed to nurse it to the Engen by the circle.

I had it towed home and when I got back from CT, I had a good look at the problem.
Basically the head gasket has blown between one of the cylinders and the water jacket. There is a fuel smell in the water, and when you try and start it, water pumps out of the top of the radiator. Luckily the water and oil didn't mix.

There is basically no info on the net on this so called bullet proof motor, so i'm not sure what my cost would be to get this fixed, and would I recoup my costs anyway ?.
I'm reluctant to even approach Nissan for a quote.

Any info or help on what I should do, would be appreciated. I'm not the type to leave a car rotting under a tree in the garden waiting for better days, I want to sort it out soon. I'm just not sure if I should advertise her "as is ", or fix her up.

Thanks in advance

Latest posts