Irrigation System - pipes clunking

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolby

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can assist :

I've recently had someone put in an irrigation system for me. He connected it to my mains coming into the house with a solenoid and computer.

Every morning it turns on, there's a huge clunk/hammer in the pipes as the irrigation switches on initially (I'll get a recording tomorrow) and then everything is fine thereafter. Googling points to air in the pipes that causs this and it can be fixed by bleeding the pipes (I'l try this on the weekend).

Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience on this noise or can give advice ? Is Google right?
Also, it happens initially - if I switch off the irrigation and turn it on ... silent. No noise! But every morning when it goes on, it does this.
Where is the air, if it's that ? Surely when they're on and running, water has displaced all the air?
How does air even get in the system?

Lastly (and something I've just realized) is that when we put the sprinklers in, we did 7 sprinklers. We realised this was too many on a line and shut off the last 3 (turn the nozzles) so just the first 4 work. Do you think this air is somehow related to the end of the system and I should open those to release?

Latest posts