Author Topic: Need advice please  (Read 277 times)

Offline Honda xr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Need advice please
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
I have ripped my cd collection (and those of friends and family) and selected the best songs that I saved on a usb in Wave format. I have around 1500 songs on the usb at this stage. I often listen to music stations such as LM Radio, Magic FM and Mix FM. I often hear songs that I remember from my youth and have no idea where to find them. An example of a song I am looking for is Hot summer nights from the band Night. I cannot find these cd"s in the music shops and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on where to find these old songs, preferably in Wave format. Thanks

Offline boss187

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Need advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
eBay is an option for buying old CD's - even with shipping costs its quite cheap. Most CD's at musica are now 169.99 anyway.

Alternatively, You could stream via Tidal/Deezer using their "Hi-Fi" modes and record the audio on a computer using Audacity or the like.

Offline Larry

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
Try Tidal, FLAC and MQA if memory serves.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
i have a fairly big collection of music ie somewhere around almost 8000 albums and many compilations of individual tracks (as opposed to complete albums) - and the main point of my post is that a friend of mine recently compared his Tidal and itunes to my collections and tried looking for some of the rare old stuff that i have .... and between his two accounts he managed to find OVER 90% of the music we looked for between Tidal and Itunes so what i considered to be rare is sometimes not so

you wont get it in WAV - and there are lots of other means to find these but those will be copyright infringement so they cannot be discussed in the forum - tidal is going to be mp3 as well as FLAC or MQA as mentioned above while itunes will mostly be AAC (sometimes possibly ALAC which is the lossless version of AAC) - but neither service offers WAV

BTW just a friendly pointer that ripping from friends and family as well as recording from deezer and spotify via audacity are all basically copyright infringement so best not discussed on the open forum (probably best to stick to Private Message if you want to discuss these issues)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
Using Shazam, if you whistle the song, or hear it being played, it will give you the title

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 12:43:41 AM »

although not alway digital, discogs is good for obscure stuff.

https://www.discogs.com/Night-Hot-Summer-Nights/master/231905

19 different versions of the track you mentioned - all 7 singles though...
if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
Using Shazam, if you whistle the song, or hear it being played, it will give you the title

Not always, but mostly. I have some albums- Twee Meter Sessies and other unplugged stuff- where people have been unsuccessful with Shazam. I know this only cos I was doing sound at a gig and they kept coming up to me with their cellphones  ;D

Offline chunter

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 06:07:45 PM »
May be of help - I have managed to find a lot of the older music I enjoy on Melodishop. Prices are very reasonable but haven't seen .wav files. Mainly MP3 and Flac

Offline adie

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 06:34:13 PM »
Why WAV? FLAC sounds as good (to me) and uses less space on a drive?

Offline El Sid

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:37:44 PM »
May be of help - I have managed to find a lot of the older music I enjoy on Melodishop. Prices are very reasonable but haven't seen .wav files. Mainly MP3 and Flac

If you really want .wav then get the FLAC and convert - it's lossless anyway

Offline Larry

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
Why WAV? FLAC sounds as good (to me) and uses less space on a drive?

FLAC is a lossless format, and if memory serves, it supports far more metadata than WAV.

Personally?  Iíve been done with WAV files for years..

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »
FLAC is a lossless format, and if memory serves, it supports far more metadata than WAV.

Personally?  Iíve been done with WAV files for years..

Actually since around a year ago WAV supports the same amount of Metadata......  With FLAC the data is embedded into the header of the file but with WAV the header was too small to embed the data so nowadays they embed it to the file with a pointer in the header that leads to the metadata

While my primary collection is FLAC I still think that WAV is more universally accepted format by hardware manufacturers because almost everything works with WAV but many devices do not support FLAC yet (for example car audio head units when I last checked) so basically I reckon WAV will work with far more devices than FLAC will

Having said the above though FLAC will work just as good as WAV in terms of sound quality ie they shouldn't sound different at all and if they do the difference is so realistically subtle that it can easily be attributed to being a placebo effect that you are actually hearing a difference. So having a FLAC file is about the same as having a WAV file

You have to be aware though that if you do have a lot of downloaded files they could be vinyl needle drops as opposed to CD rips and while many people Consider vinyl to sound better than CD it's different with needle drops because it mostly depends on the standard of the hardware that the conversion was done with...  So those torrent downloads etc are not always the best recordings and you might find some of the official paid for higher bit rate mp3 CD rips actually sound better

Offline ALLO

• AVForums Member
    • ALLO.com
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »
eBay is an option for buying old CD's - even with shipping costs its quite cheap. Most CD's at musica are now 169.99 anyway.

Alternatively, You could stream via Tidal/Deezer using their "Hi-Fi" modes and record the audio on a computer using Audacity or the like.

https://www.youtube-wav.com/

:)
Andre
CMO
ALLO.com
kali / boss / digione / usbridge and more...

Offline Honda xr

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »
Thanks very much for all the advice. The reason I went for Wav is that I only know Wav and MP3"s. I will try the different places to get hold of the songs I am looking for. I don't mind paying for the songs. I just did not know where to find the old music.
Once again thanks for all the advice.