Author Topic: The reason behind?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Simango4

Re: The reason behind?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »
 :dop: on the music first...

However, we cannot overlook the joy of getting to choose the equipment that sparks the right emotion at the thought of having it in our rigs and having our favorite music flow through it, clearly, the rig has its own way of contributing towards that joy-unspeakable...it's not just the music's job!

I bet only a few to none would appreciate having their rigs chosen and setup on their behalf, not because it's not convenient, because the rig setting up journey brings joy as we anticipate what we're about to hear...
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline 2wice

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »
Some of us listen to our content playing on gear.
Some of us listen to our gear playing content .

Offline ron g

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »

for me the primary thing is the music. i will still listen to music even if i only have something basic to listen on. better quality sound enhances my enjoyment of the music, & most of my music listening is with this motivation.

however, i do also still enjoy listening to the system's performance as a secondary pleasure, and there are occasions where i will happily fiddle around with gear, listening to the impact of the gear changes on the music pieces selected.

different moods, different pleasures.  :groovy:
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline newbeatz

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
I'm not obsessed about gear, as long as it sounds decent.  It's the music for me.
Diana Krall's nasal breathing and lip-smacking does nothing for me.
If all I have available at the time is a portable radio,  then so be it, I still get 100% enjoyment out of the music alone.
The audiophile "industry" is riddled with snake oil and stories about gear acquisition, and the endless treadmill on the quest to perfection, which never happens.
These are the folk that focus on gear, not the enjoyment of music, per se.
IMO, it's sad, but also quite entertaining to see what extent some people will go, to achieve "musical utopia". 

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there

Offline newbeatz

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »
We all mess with gear to enhance the emotional connection with the music..we all just want our next eargasm to be better than the last

No.  That's a wide generalization.   Not all of us "mess with gear" to improve the next eargasm.
Horses for courses.
No offense, because I don't have the funds anyway,  but if anyone spends more than, I'm guessing R75K on a basic stereo system, and you can't
get absolute musical enjoyment out of said system,  then my take is you are convincing yourself that gear acquisition is the solution to your audio "woes".
Similar to the automobile industry,  nowhere else is the law of diminishing returns more applicable than in the audio / hifi industry.
It borders on insanity   

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »

for me the primary thing is the music. i will still listen to music even if i only have something basic to listen on. better quality sound enhances my enjoyment of the music, & most of my music listening is with this motivation.

however, i do also still enjoy listening to the system's performance as a secondary pleasure, and there are occasions where i will happily fiddle around with gear, listening to the impact of the gear changes on the music pieces selected.

different moods, different pleasures.  :groovy:

I'm going mad? Typed out a post, pressed send, off it went but & it never posted?? It's not even beer o' clock yet!  :nutter:

Nonetheless, let's try again :)

Agree with the above 1000%.

I can listen to the same track in the car, in the garage, in the office (via HP or bookshelves) or on the main system in the lounge & still enjoy it.

Each system/location brings it's own unique signature to the track, but all are enjoyable.

I have virtually zero time to just sit & listen, so whatever music I'm listening to has to fit in around my daily life & activities.

*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline newbeatz

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
I'm going mad? Typed out a post, pressed send, off it went but & it never posted?? It's not even beer o' clock yet!  :nutter:

Nonetheless, let's try again :)

Agree with the above 1000%.

I can listen to the same track in the car, in the garage, in the office (via HP or bookshelves) or on the main system in the lounge & still enjoy it.

Each system/location brings it's own unique signature to the track, but all are enjoyable.

I have virtually zero time to just sit & listen, so whatever music I'm listening to has to fit in around my daily life & activities.

Good for you !   Then you enjoy music for what it is, and not necessarily "gear", per se.
And that's exactly the point.     :cool: :cool:

Offline 2wice

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »
then my take is you are convincing yourself that gear acquisition is the solution to your audio "woes".
This is also a generalization.

People don't all enjoy something the same way.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

Technically, this means there's no need to setup a dedicated system for your music enjoyment  :sulky:

Personally, I find it very difficult to listen to systems which heavily compromised, the likes of standard stock BMW, Merc etc. sound systems, I'd rather enjoy the silence...
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
Technically, this means there's no need to setup a dedicated system for your music enjoyment  :sulky:

Personally, I find it very difficult to listen to systems which heavily compromised, the likes of standard stock BMW, Merc etc. sound systems, I'd rather enjoy the silence...

Different courses for different horses.

From your comment above I'd say it seems your priority is listening to the system, not the music. Whereas mine is the opposite. A good track is a good track, no matter where or on what it is played.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline newbeatz

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »

No.  I do hear what you are saying, but you are missing the point....
If your ultimate "music enjoyment" has to be soley based on "setting up an (expensive) dedicated system for your music enjoyment", I put it to you
that you are focusing on your gear, and not the music.   :)
It's a state of mind thing.
Please note -- I am not saying that a portable radio sounds better than a dedicated and decent stereo system.  It doesn't.
But if you can't enjoy the MUSIC from whatever source is available to you at the time,  then you are a Gear-obsessed person, and not a music lover.
There is a big difference between listening AT your speakers, and listening TO the music    :) :)

Online Jason Willemse

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »
Again, albeit in a completely different forum, I find myself drawn into posts where folk define themselves as being one way or another.

The love of music is the one thing that everyone here simply has to have in common. Otherwise why would we be so passionate about it in the first place?

I place myself in both groups. One who listens to music, and one who listens at music, as quoted. Neither one makes me any less the other.

There are different people in the world. Some (these I envy) are content with things easily and are not all that concerned with the work involved and knowledge that has to be acquired in order to take things to the next level. They enjoy things for what they are and are usually much happier for it.

Others (like myself) have this need to continuously work on things - to know more about them, improve on them, get the absolute best result possible. Itís a bit of a pain in the *** to be honest, but itís all I can do.

I love music, first and foremost, and will enjoy it on pretty much anything it plays on bar a cellphone. Still, if a cellphone it has to be, you will find me constructing some cardboard thingamagic to make it sound better. I enjoy that element of it as much as the first.

Itís a combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Whilst I admit to chopping and changing my gear over the last few years, Iím finally homing in on what I think sounds best to me.  My final main set up has two turntables (G301 Aka Diana) with MM capability for rock/psych/cosmic and cosmic Americana, then an AR (Suzy) with MC for more electronic or mellow grooves (just works for me).  Jazz plays well on both so Miles/Ornette/Pharoah/Sun Ra on MM, Jarrett/Garbarek on MC.  All through the VA Exclame 150 with built in dual phono stage.  CDs through a good solid Rega Appolo (just sounds great), tapes on the Nak and a cheap Schiit DAC.  I returned to my Tannoys for speakers as they are more capable for the Ex.  I do also have a complete NAD 3020/4020/same era tape deck and CD player in the bedroom running the Lowthers (with an RP3) which is great for late night and weekend morning listening. 

Ultimately, Iím listening to the music but trying to match the system to it I guess. 
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »
My only goal is to make the music more emotive to me ... a shut your eyes and pretend you were there moment and when the song ends .. you go WOW now THAT was good .. the better gear I have bought brings more of those goosebump moments more often.

Im in a different mode if listening critically or tweaking .. initially I might be listening for differences to get a handle on things but I lapse into how the music grips me as a whole shortly after.
in fact , I like to use new music I dont know to listen critically between components .. which shifts almost all of the emphasis on how the content grabs you

Music is my life ..6000 odd albums and a further 2.5 million on tidal is my bliss..a veritable smorgasbord that  I am enjoying magnified by the acoustic lens of my system and room. 4-5 hrs a day

Almost all the audiophiles I know are similar .. music is what drives them....they want to hear it better..they want gear that will make it happen

As to the original question .... I would rather listen to music I love on any old system than have to endure stuff I dont like on a SOTA system.

Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Online King_Julian_S

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Being a true audiophile sounds like a lonely life ... no wonder there are clubs and events looking for like minded friends I guess...

Having music play while having nice company in conversation (hence messing up all my detailed effort) with some loud friends and sing along self acclaimed ones after a few, tapping of feet and reminiscing , discussing (even the music) etc ....
is still the most enjoyable experience for me...

Itís like alcoholism.. when you start drinking alone in a special chair without friends and people around you are having serious issues...

I find that once I am unable to concentrate and listen to a system no matter how hard I try that I have reached my goal.... so I sit back , work , talk whatever and enjoy ...

To me these days ... only systems that allows me to hear the system creates that scenario where I will want to and can hear the system .. to me thatís a flawed system.. it must be out of the way completely ... unless I am auditioning in a hifi shop or something.

Disclaimer : personal (MY) preference/ conditioning whatever you want to call it ..

Non audiophile music lover...