Author Topic: anyone have a Nagra ???  (Read 2087 times)

Offline vintage

anyone have a Nagra ???
« on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Hi All

Anyone know the Nagra reel recorders? I have seen them going for very high prices (considering they look like portable 5" reel recorders).
Are they really worth their asking price or is that just another Social media hype?

Offline markc

Re: anyone have a Nagra ???
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Yes, they are worth the price. Read up on them.
"Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

“We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.”
H.L. Mencken

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
We had a lot of them at the SABC in the 80's.
I personally used a 4.2 for many years while I was there for location recording.

For music videos, we would use 2. One for Playback and another to record in sync with picture. Often wiped parts of the master by mistake. there was no record protection !!

Nice for a display cabinet, but not much else really.

Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline JohnnyIC

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »
One sold on bidorbuy last week for around R600 so they can still be had for cheap if you're lucky.

Offline vintage

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
Hi All, yes I have had a quick look at them on the net , to me it just sounds like a lot of hype.
I have seen them and they seem so small for the asking price.
 I find Uher cheaper as I have a couple of them and they are sweet sounding machines, but I have just come across a SELA 2880 and this was designed in Sweden specially for the Nagras but not sure hoe to match it to my Uher reporter and was wondering if I should just get a Nagra, but do I really need another portable recorder???
whats the verdict?

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
Not sure I understand? Are you complaining Nagras are too small for the asking price? They were designed for location recording so size was the first priority, ruggedness and reliability next, with sonics as good as possible second to the first three. It was designed for professional use and priced accordingly.

Yes they are worth it if you have a use for it, bearing in mind there were only ever one stereo /2 channel model, the 4S. So more of a nice to have . To see it , touch it and especially by the time that modulometer starts swinging most  are pretty much smitten

Then of course there is there is that other animal ,the full size mastering model T-Audio.

Offline kubusi

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
Yes, I own one of them, the stereo Nagra IV-S which is arguably the best 2 channel analog tape recorder ever made. I also have a Uher Report which is also a very good quality item, but overall does not compare with Nagra produced item.
FIRST LAW OF VALVE AMPLIFIERS
Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
Just stumbled across this on the always fascinating TwoGoodEars:

For years, mono Nagras were made under license in India, for the Bollywood market!

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
I recently sold two of mine.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline fredeb

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
I'm busy working on a 70's production about the Ethiopian Rebels and Mossad . We are actually looking for 5x Nagra units to buy or rent ( FGS not at fleabay prices ! ) .

Abybody have anything - please pm me .

Ari 
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
A 1 scrapyard in PE had 2 mintys a month ago.Probably still there.The third world Nagra E though.If set in Africa ,Es may be more historically correct than a 4. if just for props try J.S on this forum too.

Offline fredeb

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
Wow ! Thanks for the heads up Agaton Sax .

...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline vintage

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »
how come I never come across them  :sd: scrapyard on top of it all