Author Topic: Thats how 13 in Cape Town looks like  (Read 1413 times)

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
Re: Thats how 13 in Cape Town looks like
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
 ;)  Gentlemen.....its called "GRYPHON AUDIO DESIGN"...handmade in Denmark.....

I m happy that you guys liked it......and there are quite affordable combinations with Horns and Valves or even Horns and Solid State....
The Bullys at around 100k beat all I know at double the price or more......   and hey ..its almost a problem :)

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »
I have a little break at last, back in Cape Town and can finally comment on my visit with Drifter.

I have grown in my fondness of visiting Achim's place(s) as he is no ordinary dealer : he is not enamoured by specs ( he knows them when asked), he has very wide music tastes and appreciates really good music, he knows how to match components together that makes them sing and most importantly, there is no pressure, absolutely none, for you to feel obligated to buy anything.

I am sure most people whom buy rest assured that they liked what they heard.

The sound(s) :

Most surprising, as most whom have listened concurred, the Martion Bullfrogs are stunning. These large full range cuboids that look like subwoofers that has been suspended off the ground,  produces really good sound. I could easily live with them as there is very little they can do wrong. And, you do not need a subwoofer(s) with them at all. Love them.

The Eden Acoustics active system had no right to sound the way they did. Achim's attention to fine details, such as putting them in that space worked wonders. This is a very small system, in size, however they sounded just right in that space. That he sold a complete system in the last week, or so doesn't surprise me.

The smaller horns were not ideally setup as they competed with the Martion Bullfrogs for space and were stuck behind them, and tasked to play music with the Martions in place, so no comment here.

The Avantgarde Trios with the basshorns are a stunning achievement. There is not a single dealer, let alone music lover that has a setup like this in Cape Town that I know, through all my young years of listening to music. It is a privilege to listen to them and I too wish that the money and all the attachments that comes with a purchase like this, to do justice to them could fall into my lap, but this system is what dreams are made of.

Everything Achim and I played ( I brought some of my own music - he even liked some of it ) was a joy to listen to. What struck me the most was the sense of scale and ease the music was produced, the soundstage was huge, panoramic and extended way beyond the speakers in depth, width and height. The best spot was most certainly in the sweet spot but peripheral listeners will not be disappointed. The Chinese kondo drums was amazing and a thrilling listen.

The combination of valves, horns, cd player/dac or turntable combinations playing even electric bass was fantastic.(The smaller horns made similar sounds, but smaller in size and bottomed out when pushed hard).  The outdated thoughts that only classical music can be appreciated is thrown out with the baby. This system rocks!   

Lastly, a visit to Achim is both rewarding and a pleasure, especially for the purchaser of his wares, as he can rest in the full knowledge that Achim has taken the time and effort to produce something special.

Thanks for the visit and the time afforded Drifter and myself. 
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »
I have a little break at last, back in Cape Town and can finally comment on my visit with Drifter.

I have grown in my fondness of visiting Achim's place(s) as he is no ordinary dealer : he is not enamoured by specs ( he knows them when asked), he has very wide music tastes and appreciates really good music, he knows how to match components together that makes them sing and most importantly, there is no pressure, absolutely none, for you to feel obligated to buy anything.

I am sure most people whom buy rest assured that they liked what they heard.

The sound(s) :

Most surprising, as most whom have listened concurred, the Martion Bullfrogs are stunning. These large full range cuboids that look like subwoofers that has been suspended off the ground,  produces really good sound. I could easily live with them as there is very little they can do wrong. And, you do not need a subwoofer(s) with them at all. Love them.

The Eden Acoustics active system had no right to sound the way they did. Achim's attention to fine details, such as putting them in that space worked wonders. This is a very small system, in size, however they sounded just right in that space. That he sold a complete system in the last week, or so doesn't surprise me.

The smaller horns were not ideally setup as they competed with the Martion Bullfrogs for space and were stuck behind them, and tasked to play music with the Martions in place, so no comment here.

The Avantgarde Trios with the basshorns are a stunning achievement. There is not a single dealer, let alone music lover that has a setup like this in Cape Town that I know, through all my young years of listening to music. It is a privilege to listen to them and I too wish that the money and all the attachments that comes with a purchase like this, to do justice to them could fall into my lap, but this system is what dreams are made of.

Everything Achim and I played ( I brought some of my own music - he even liked some of it ) was a joy to listen to. What struck me the most was the sense of scale and ease the music was produced, the soundstage was huge, panoramic and extended way beyond the speakers in depth, width and height. The best spot was most certainly in the sweet spot but peripheral listeners will not be disappointed. The Chinese kondo drums was amazing and a thrilling listen.

The combination of valves, horns, cd player/dac or turntable combinations playing even electric bass was fantastic.(The smaller horns made similar sounds, but smaller in size and bottomed out when pushed hard).  The outdated thoughts that only classical music can be appreciated is thrown out with the baby. This system rocks!   

Lastly, a visit to Achim is both rewarding and a pleasure, especially for the purchaser of his wares, as he can rest in the full knowledge that Achim has taken the time and effort to produce something special.

Thanks for the visit and the time afforded Drifter and myself.

Good post  :thumbs:
Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Leben CS300F/Marantz CD63 MkII KI /MLevinson 36/Sony 790/PS UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100