Author Topic: Integrated Amp Comparison (Marantz PM8005 vs Yamaha a-s2100) in a std setup  (Read 101 times)

Offline NewMusic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Hi everyone!

A little over a year ago I put together a stereo system on a wing and a prayer. The results were not horrid, but, even to my untrained ear there was a lot of room for improvement.
I met one or two chaps from the AVForums who showed me their systems (which were brilliant!).
They also showed me that there was a cost to the learning curve involved in getting acquainted with the various products, configurations and settings.
One chap had a garage full of 'bad purchases'.
Here is my take on two different product combinations: -

Set 1
Speakers - 2 x B&W CM6 S2
Subwoofer - 1 x Monitor Audio GW15
DAC - Marantz NA6005
CD - CD5005
AMP - Integrated Marantz PM8005
Setting - sub-optimal all on 1 shelf (including sub) and below ideal listening height
Volume - good
Sound - rich and warm

Set 2
Speakers - 2 x B&W CM6 S2
Subwoofer - 1 x Monitor Audio GW15
DAC - Cambridge Audio
CD - Yamaha CD2100
AMP - Integrated Yamaha A-S2100
Setting - sub-optimal all on 1 shelf (including sub) and below ideal listening height
Volume - hectically powerful - too much if such a thing is possible
Sound - at day 2 the sound is slightly less clinical, but absolutely crystal clear. Base is starting to come through.

Would anyone else have comment on the above, and, perhaps some suggestions in terms of run in times and dynamics for the integrated?

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
Firstly how big is your room,is it treated ? and what are your expectations eg. how loud do you like your music etc?

I would start off by placing the B&W CM6 S2 on proper stands with correct placement before comparing amps etc  :2c:
Then try setting the sub using the room correction

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/gold/gold-w15
Gold W15 is also an intelligent design, featuring an advanced automatic room correction system called LEO™ (Listening Environment Optimizer). LEO simply and automatically eliminates the detrimental bass boost of boundaries and corners through the use of a microphone and test tones.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline NewMusic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Awesome feedback - thanks!
My room is about 4.5m x 6m - walls not treated.
I compared setups that were consistent.
so far, about 3 days in, I have noticed that the Yamaha integrated is 'mellowing' - it is not so piercingly sharp, but still very clear.
More bass is coming through.

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
I have a little experience with CA Dacs and Marantz amplification and internal dacs

The same as you, I found the Marantz warm and full in sound.  When paired with the CA Dac it tightened up the bass big time, right and raised the details levels where I wanted them.

CA is not an esoteric, or one of the high end glam brands.  But I have a soft spot for their Dac's...