New Oppo UDP 203 a lemon ? Where to then ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spurge

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-digital-udp-203-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/?page=2

Overall, the UDP-203's stability and reliability were very good, but I did encounter a few glitches during my time with it. As I detailed above, there were some HDMI issues--from the input that wouldn't originally pass 4K to the communication problem with the Epson. A couple times, when resuming playback of a UHD disc, I got a black screen on my TV. I had to stop the disc and restart it to get the picture back. And the player froze on me twice when I inserted a disc. I've had minor issues with every new UHD player I've tested so far. The good news is, OPPO has consistently proven itself to be a company that responds to user feedback and puts out regular firmware updates to improve performance, so I think it's fair to assume that the reliability will continually improve as this brand new player has a chance to evolve.

If you really want an all-in-one media hub, the lack of integrated streaming services might be a disappointment. As I said above, most UHD TVs are smart TVs, so these services are probably already available to you via HDMI ARC. Frankly, I'd rather use a Roku or Amazon Fire box anyhow, so their omission is fine with me.

So does one wait or go for a 105D now? Or dump all BD players and go the Netflix streaming route or similar?

Latest posts