Author Topic: Chord Mojo - what's the all fuss about?  (Read 801 times)

Offline seeyou

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Member
Chord Mojo - what's the all fuss about?
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
Curious if anyone here has used one and can give impressions. Rated #1 amp/dac on head-fi, glowing reviews everywhere, people pledging their undying love, stories of lives being changed, marriages saved and transcendence to higher planes. I've never come across such love for a device. Is it that amazing?

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Chord Mojo - what's the all fuss about?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:46:25 AM »
It's ugly as sin so I suppose people have to say nice things about it.
Please PM me for anything you need imported. See here.

Offline seeyou

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »
It's ugly as sin so I suppose people have to say nice things about it.

First time I saw it at the #1 spot on head-fi I did a double-take. It looked like a kid's toy and I wondered what the heck I was looking it.

Aesthetics aside though - there is a LOT of praise heaped on this thing.

Online CAD

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:58:58 AM »
What Hifi 5 star rating :thinking:

The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
What Hifi 5 star rating :thinking:

What hifi is biased.

British brands
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
I have one, as well as a Geek Out V2. I prefer the Mojo by a small margin over the V2...I find it a bit warmer/less glare, with a blacker background. Overall a good SQ product in its price point, which is a departure for Chord. That said, I have a Geek Out 2a Signature Edition coming which I'll put up against the Mojo and expect to have the edge, especially balanced.I am listening via CA Andromeda, which are very sensitive to OI, so Mojo is a little dark, FWIW, but works very nicely for me. This thing has gobs of power, too...can drive HD650 if needed, but not fantastically. I have a set of HD650 coming soon, so I'll report back on the Mojo/GOV2/GO2aSE shootout with Balanced and SE cables for both ND650 and Andros, but it will be likely only in the new year.

Negatives - Mojo is a bit rolled in the treble and will suffer from RF interference from a phone - best to have some distance (no stacking) or use flight mode. Overall highly recommended, though.

Offline seeyou

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
I have one, as well as a Geek Out V2. I prefer the Mojo by a small margin over the V2...I find it a bit warmer/less glare, with a blacker background. Overall a good SQ product in its price point, which is a departure for Chord. That said, I have a Geek Out 2a Signature Edition coming which I'll put up against the Mojo and expect to have the edge, especially balanced.I am listening via CA Andromeda, which are very sensitive to OI, so Mojo is a little dark, FWIW, but works very nicely for me. This thing has gobs of power, too...can drive HD650 if needed, but not fantastically. I have a set of HD650 coming soon, so I'll report back on the Mojo/GOV2/GO2aSE shootout with Balanced and SE cables for both ND650 and Andros, but it will be likely only in the new year.

Negatives - Mojo is a bit rolled in the treble and will suffer from RF interference from a phone - best to have some distance (no stacking) or use flight mode. Overall highly recommended, though.

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear from someone who owns it. Keen to hear your impressions for the shootout. If you're ever wanting to sell the Mojo, give me a shout. Very keen to hear it first hand :)

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - good to hear from someone who owns it. Keen to hear your impressions for the shootout. If you're ever wanting to sell the Mojo, give me a shout. Very keen to hear it first hand :)
If the GO2a SE wins, it'll be on the market :). Regardless, we're both in CPT so I'm sure we can arrange for you to listen to it. PM me where you are and contact details...

Offline Phase

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »

What was the landed price?

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »
Head-Fi does a bit of a problem with FOTM syndrome. The Mojo seems generally well liked though on other places, even by folks who are very critical about gear, so should be decent. I'm concerned by the USB performance, it looks like the Mojo needs a decrapifier to improve the sound quality over USB. The new GOv2A also looks like a nice option with the better looking chassis.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »
What was the landed price?
I paid R10k about 8 months ago or so.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
I paid R10k about 8 months ago or so.

Well, it's still cheaper than a divorce... There is some logic behind the hype :thinking:

Offline Phase

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
I have a lawyer friend and he says January is the month for divorces. Maybe I should put a order in.

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
I have a lawyer friend and he says January is the month for divorces. Maybe I should put a order in.

Make sure you get your MOJO in the settlement
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »
Gimme R7k and I'll smuggle one in.