Mullard 5-10 amplifier kit sold by Sterns

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubusi

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and am restoring a Mullard 5-10 amplifier which was sold by Sterns in the mid 1950's. I would like any comments from forum members who has restored a similar item, would welcome any ideas or suggestions.

This amplifier was obtained at an auction sale in a very sorry state, a few components missing, loose wires etc and the chassis butchered with about 12 extra  holes drilled, missing bottom plate and one side of the chassis badly bent. So far I have filled in the holes with epoxy, the metalwork straightened and repainted with Gold Hammerite which matches the original finish.

The transformers are the seldom seen Gilson manufacture, the output transformer their model WO 892 with the ultra linear taps at 43% and both transformers check out perfectly. One surprise is the chassis mounted filter capacitor,  a TCC 50ufd +  50ufd manufactured in January 1956 which reformed in less than a minute and has zero power factor so it will be used again. Most of the other components will be replaced as the coupling and bypass caps are shot, a few of the resistors I know from past experience are of a type I know to be noisy.

I am taking photos of the before and after progress and have now started to remount the various items on the chassis.

Latest posts