Soundproofing a door

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me here ...

We moved into a bigger house recently.  Lovely place but lots of hard surfaces so quite echoey.  Still working on a couple of loose rugs and drapes but that is not the big issue now.  Attached to the main house is a very large flatlet, separated by a normal internal door. At our previous house we had a garden cottage completely separate from the house and used to let it for a useful extra income.  So we decided to the same with the flatlet at our new home. 

Last night the new tenants started moving in ... and we are shocked and horrified to learn that we can literally hear them fart (and them us I suppose)  :walled: .  Bricking up the door would solve the problem I suppose but we like the idea of being able to extend the house we need the space more than the money.  So I desperately need advice on how to soundproof the door.  What are my options and relative costs? 

The door is installed in a double wall .. so there is about 180mm to work with.  Initial thoughts are draft seal around the edges, a foam "bass trap" in the cavity and seal with a large cupboard.  Would this be effective?

Any and all advise would be hugely appreciated  :help:

Latest posts