We create google search results and educate the nation

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsYourUncle

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Good Morning,

One of my colleagues used the "Let me Google it for you "link on another colleague the other day.

It reminded me of the time that I once asked a question here about the specs of a speaker that I was unable to find( google gave me specs for the newer models , but not that specific one) and got a "let me Google that for you "reply - I had a good chuckle at that and myself use that sometimes.

This forum and others like it create Google search results.

I was once in the market for a pair of speakers , A pair of Tannoy Mercury MX3's.
Upon googling them , the 1st result I got was a for sale post here from 2012 which made me realise that the asking price of R900 was reasonable as the pair here sold quickly for R1000.00.
Not only did I find info to help me with a purchase , but also discovered avforums.co.za.

I have since spent allot of time on here, learned allot and had my a$$ saved when I managed to sell some gear safely here to pay my bills when I wasn't employed 2 years ago.

I would be curious to see how many Sony mgongo and Bose lovers have seen the light and discovered that there is more out there and discovered that there is way more gear out there than Yamaha and Jamo which are displayed as high-end at consumer electronic shops like the old hifi corp and Dion wired?

Everyone knows Sony, Bose etc because its out there, its advertised by retail outlets and ofcoarse Sony has a squillion watts of bass in dual passive or active woofer form which people love.
The people who buy this sort of product call themselves sound enthusiast's - The thing is, they are but are buying the best that they are exposed to.
Sony mgongo owners are always proud of their purchase and love to show it off because they believe they have the best and its because they don't know better.

I was once in this boat. I paid a what I thought to be a whopping R7000.00 for a set of JAMO s506 speakers from Dion Wired unhlanga because they were the best speakers I had ever heard and sounded better than my Wharfedale Diamond 7 series in everyway and actually didn't know that anything else existed. A year later , while working at the House and garden show, I walked past a stall that had a set of Monitor Audio silver speakers and just like that, My Jamo s506's sounded not so amazing anymore.
Ofcoarse after this I was on gumtree to try sell them for not too much of a bath , which is when I saw the Tannoy mx3's and when the education began...

Latest posts