Dead Sub

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I feel a bit embarrassed to post this, but none of us know everything :eek:

About three weeks ago my wife phoned me telling me that my sub(Mordaunt-Short 309W) was making a strange noise although the sound levels on the amp was very low. I told her to switch the sub off and pull the power plug from it. That evening I plugged the power back and did not worry about it.

During the following weeks I did not watch any movies, but did play music(CD & DVD). Bass was still strong, so I assumed the sub was working fine. Over the weekend however I turned the volume up a bit and for some or other reason touched the side of the sub only to realise that it was not working at all although it did go from standby to on.

I have done all kinds of possible tests - frequency sweeps, receiver test tones, connected the sub via high-levels inputs, checked volume settings, crossover settings, different cables, but still no go. The suggestion from Mordaunt-Short is that I take the sub to the dealer, but the dealer closed its shop and Audio Imports are no longer the importer of Mordaunt-Short products.

Any suggestion where I can take the sub to in Cape Town to have it fixed? Okay that would now be after this weekend when I plan to open it up to check if all wires are still connected and if the driver itself still works ;D