Author Topic: LG 55inch 3d smart or Samsung 55inch 3d smart  (Read 2319 times)

Offline AudioD

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
LG 55inch 3d smart or Samsung 55inch 3d smart
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »
Hi guys,
Currently deciding on this.
Any suggestions?

Offline robmac

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
Re: LG 55inch 3d smart or Samsung 55inch 3d smart
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:34:04 AM »
In the same boat as you and currently leaning toward LG!

Offline AudioD

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 02:30:09 AM »
Hi Robmac,

Also leaning towards the LG, as the 3D glasses are passive.

Only hassle, is the new range of Lg just launched and will remain premium priced for a while.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 04:03:10 AM »
i had a smaller 3D Samsung but i wasnt really impressed with the active shutter type of 3D since my eyes were very sensitive to the flicker on the glasses .... it wasnt too bad but i suppose i really wasnt too stressed to watch much 3D then and i held the same view as everyone else

UNTIL

i sold the Samsung and got rid of the flicker by buying the LG and the passive 3D was totally a different proposition ...... now my eyes are loving the 3D and even though my TV is pretty small for my lounge because of the distance that i sit away from it i still enjoy my 3D movies immensely if i keep the room dark

I only have around 35 to 40 3D movies and while that isnt a huge collection of 3D movies it actually made the purchase of the LG for me worthwhile ..... despite many other peoples complaints against them - those other flaws in the TV do not affect me so much in actual real life usage ie when theres a picture on the screen and if you have adjusted it decently it is still capabl eof giving you a very fine picture quality which is all that you ask of it

some dont like the backlight bleed ...... mine doesnt have much of that so i suppose i got lucky ...... then others complain that the IPS screen isnt too great, but it does fine from where i sit and in truth the 3D picture is glorious compared to the other brands that use active shutter technology so when you watch movies like "Avatar" or "Transformers : age of extinction" or "Captain America : the winter soldier" in 3D mode you really are immersed in the movie ie because its so small its like watching the action through a window but some of it has the characters in the forefront so focused that many people think that the color and brightness on 3D is actually better than in 2D and for some of these "made for 3D" movies this is probably true ie the 3D is just more memorable an occasion on that LG passive 3D and i truly cannot praise it enough

the Samsung may be better with the 2D by a small margin but the LG is ahead in the 3D by miles ....... and that made it a great buy for me and i still am enjoying my TV very much more so now as i get more 3D movies. Dont get me wrong not every 3D movie is terrific ie movies like all in the "Resident Evil" franchise still will make you seasick  :puke: but despite some of them being terribly made nowadays they are improving the quality of the 3D effects

Some people complain that 3D effects are few and far between in most movies and you only get the special effects "now and then" but IMHO this is what makes it special ie if they make the entire movie full of the special 3D effects then 3D will lose its impact pretty quickly and so IMHO they are generally learning how to get the balance of this right and making less movies that will make you seasick

Please note that i have not bothered to see if Samsung have improved the 3D effects on their newer models so my opinions on their 3D effectiveness may be a bit dated so i could be possibly doing them a disservice but even when glancing at it briefly for a minute or two when i walk into electronic retail stores i dont see a whole whack of improvement in non LG active shutter 3D, whereas any brand using passive 3D always looks more pleasant to my eye so i tend to avoid and glasses with batteries in them

lets put it this way though ..... when im sitting at home and watching that 3D movie i dont care how ridiculous i look with a pair of glasses on top of my glasses to sit and watch these movies   :nutter:  :point:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO: 

Offline AudioD

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:25:26 AM »
Naughty,

Damn this some serious input.

You  have definitely assisted in making my choice easier. Thank you for the time taken in providing your view.

Much appreciated. :thumbs:

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »
Not all active shutter 3d sets are created equal. The higher end sets have very good reviews for 3d. Active shutter 3d also offers double the vertical resolution of passive.

Did I mention 3d is balls and why do people still bother. (Obligatory opinion)

https://www.avforums.com/article/what-is-3d-tv-and-does-it-still-matter.10799

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »
Did I mention 3d is balls and why do people still bother. (Obligatory opinion)

you are entitled to your opinion

though

the most likely reason why you dont like it is that your TV doesnt do it well enough for it to matter to you ..... mine does it very well despite the technical reasons like resolution disadvantages etc BUT it looks terrific on mine to me .... and that makes it worth me bothering about it ;)

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
you are entitled to your opinion

though

the most likely reason why you dont like it is that your TV doesnt do it well enough for it to matter to you ..... mine does it very well despite the technical reasons like resolution disadvantages etc BUT it looks terrific on mine to me .... and that makes it worth me bothering about it ;)
Nothing to do with the TV at all.
It annoys me that all the big releases start in 3d and after 2 weeks become available in the shitty small cinema's for 2d.
I include that opinion piece purely to express my annoyance with the invention of 3d movies, which has been since the first viewing of avatar in 3d before 3d TV was even consumer electronics.

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Nothing to do with the TV at all.
It annoys me that all the big releases start in 3d and after 2 weeks become available in the shitty small cinema's for 2d.
I include that opinion piece purely to express my annoyance with the invention of 3d movies, which has been since the first viewing of avatar in 3d before 3d TV was even consumer electronics.

since that time though 3D improved to a point where it now is tolerable and in certain instances even awesome IMHO too bad that everyone decided they didnt want it just when it started getting good .... but that is the story of most electronic consumer items lives ie just when they start getting perfected then someone decides its time to improve it in some other direction  :nfi:

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
Hi guys,
Currently deciding on this.
Any suggestions?

Depends what you want in a TV. If 3D is important to you, as Naughty's said, you might find a passive panel more comfortable. In terms of picture quality Samsung is the better choice as LG use IPS panels which do offer wider viewing angles but have poor contrast ratios, trailing some distance behind the black levels on offer from other manufacturers (also affecting colour reproduction).