Yamaha Receiver

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorneDJ

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I tried to play in the 18" P-Audio speakers I got from Gert, and placed them for a weekend on the Yamaha receiver with a 10Hz signal at, what I thought was a rather low level. I left for the weekend, and when I got back I had a dead Receiver (there was some lightning I was told). When I switch it on, it stays on for about a nano second, then it switches off.

I took it to my friendly neigbourhood general electronic shop, and they told me that the decoder board is faulty, and that it cannot be repaired. Now, this is the third item in 3 years that died on me, that they told me cannot be fixed. Other items include:
- A Kenwood Receiver and I believe some red party cooldrink. I was not there when it happened. I just left it there, can still kick myself as it would have given nice spare components.
- A Marantz DVD player. It just stopped reading disks. Same place. Same answer (cannot be repaired). Again I just left it there.

So, naturally I do not trust the technical competence of these guys. So I went and collected the receiver and opened it up to see the available goodies to me. I found the power IC's in a bag (STK433-330 and STK433-130), removed from the main PC board. I did a search on the net, and found that these IC's are available http://www.bdent.com/search/part.jsp?partnum=STK433-330-E for about $55 (for both the IC's). Landed in SA probably less than R800.

However, the question is:
- Do I go through the trouble of fixing this amp.
- Is it worth it.
- Should I import the IC's, fit to the board and hope that there is nothing else wrong.
- Why did the incompentent repair people tell me that it is the decoder board ?
- Is there a trust-worthy repair company that can tell me what is the real problem, and can it be fixed (at what cost).

Regards.

Latest posts