Sound system interconnects and proper grounding

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charl.cater

Reaction score
Without wanting to dive into another cable debate/mess, I was looking around trying to figure out exactly how to wire up some DIY interconnects between a variety of components and got really confused with heaps of conflicting advice and tutorials. It's the first time I'm attempting something like this and want to do it the 'right' way.

Especially confusing was whether to connect the cable shield on a shielded coax to both sides, only one side, or not at all. Seems that everyone has their own preference and way of reasoning.

Well, I came across this document by Rane Technical Staff that cleared things up considerably. It seems pretty legitimate, well reasoned and would make a good reference for anyone making up their own cables. Plus it makes for some interesting reading regardless  :coffee:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Of course, If you have your own way of hooking components up and it sounds good and isn't causing any issues, that's perfectly fine too.

Latest posts