Car sound advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I know none of you thought I would ask such a question seeing as I think it's silly. But this is a legit question...

I recently changed vehicles and the stock sound in today's BMW's really suck! I'm hoping to improve matters but it's important that everything looks OEM and I'm not into raping the car to get decent sound. I've read up a little and I believe that there's many companies that make replacement speakers (I don't want to go through the mission of having amps installed) and I believe there's guys locally that can help with Focal and Rainbow. Now when I heard the name Rainbow I had some doubt as it sounds cheap, but I believe they are a renowned German company and the reviews are very good.

I've had a chat with the guys from Rivonia audio who can do the Focal upgrade, but they are also getting in the Rainbow systems in about two weeks. To do the install is around R8k - that's the split system in the front doors and the speakers in the rear. In the case of the Rainbow kit it includes the two subs under the seats as well. Both systems are designed to fit my specific car.

Firstly, are the guys from Rivonia audio reputable? Does the price seem reasonable, considering this is only for speakers and installation? Furthermore, I believe in stereo mode my car's radio is coded to have EQ in order to compensate for the existing shitty speakers. I would assume that the car needs to be coded to have this EQ removed? It's an F10 528i - anyone have experience with these cars? How much of an improvement can I expect by just replacing the speakers as opposed to having amplification? As you can guess, I'm interested in SQ, not SPL

Getting into my wife's Q5 leaves me seriously disappointed with what's in the BMW. The wife's car had the B&O system fitted at the factory and MAN, that is orders of magnitude better than in my car.