Author Topic: Headphone advice needed  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Alastair

Headphone advice needed
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
Hi all

Looking to buy my wife a digital piano/keyboard for her birthday.  She will need a set of headphones so that she can practice on it without disturbing the rest of the family.  I'm thinking if I have to get a set of headphones, then they may as well suit my needs (late night music listening or movie watching) too.    So basically a set of all round headphones that will probably need to be wireless (my seat if about 4m from my HT setup).  What do you guys recommend in the R1000 to R1500 range and where do I get these and am I wrong about the wireless part (ie giving up too much in audio quality)?

Alastair

Offline BWS

Re: Headphone advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »
Obviously you require closed-back 'phones. As for the wireless option I cannot comment or advice on those models as I have no interest in wireless headphones.

I recently acquired the Bose AE2 which are SUPREMELY comfortable, offer very good passive sound isolation and for the price, great SQ.

But do pay heed to what others will recommend as well
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Alastair

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
Thanks BWS

Is the closed back to prevent sound leaking?  If so, this is not critical as the requirement of the headphones is not for absolute silence for anyone else in the room, just to prevent the amplified piano sound which would then be heard in other rooms.  Please excuse my ignorance with regards to headphones and correct my if I am misunderstanding.

Alastair

Offline BWS

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »
Aah then you open yourself up to a whole lot of options. Unfortunately, getting to demo headphones here is nigh on impossible.

In your price range there a myriad of brands, any of the following make 'cans perfect for your use:

Senn's
AKG
Beyers'
Denon
Sony
Roland
JVC
Grado

In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Online cj

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
Grado SR60i or SR80i, Sennheiser hd202 all three legend status simple, cheap, headphones.

Wireless, um the wireless AKG set can be had for about 1k, decent phones, hold signal very well.

I think AKG offers the largest selection in this price range. You can try audition some sets at dionwired, they seem to have a fair few plugged in for listening.

Online cj

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
Frankly the Bose mentioned though offer pretty much everything you want except a super long cable.

Bose usually blows, but the smaller headphones dont seem as overly inflated in terms of price.

Offline Alastair

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »
Hi guys

It sounds like you are steering me away from the wireless ones.  Is this a personal preference or do you give up a lot in terms of audio quality going wireless or is there some other reason?

Alastair

Online cj

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
I have owned the wireless AKG's, and for the money they are excellent. A bit of a bland sound, but they do not detract from the source material. The cheaper Sennheisers I found suffered from signal loss on multiple occasions, this problem was fixed with my RS220's, which were excellent headphones and represent a decent value option bearing in mind they dont need an amp and offer a DAC built into the cradle.

But at the lower end of the headphone chain, I would rather have more of my money go to the drivers rather than the heavy rechargeable batteries and cradle. Plus if your wife is anything like the females I know, then having big and sometimes heavy headphone strapped to her head wont be a highlight.

A small light pair of simple headphones would be my choice.

Offline Alastair

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:27:10 AM »
Hi guys

Have just posted a "Wanted" ad in the Looking for section of the forum.  So if any of you have a set of cans that would suit my needs that you are looking to sell, please let me know.

Alastair

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »
Check out the Shure SRH440. Its an affordable closed studio headphone and should be good for keyboard use. Most headphones in the lower price category have a very Hi-Fi skewed signature (V-shape) which typically isn't the best match for musical instruments.

Offline Alastair

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
Check out the Shure SRH440. Its an affordable closed studio headphone and should be good for keyboard use. Most headphones in the lower price category have a very Hi-Fi skewed signature (V-shape) which typically isn't the best match for musical instruments.

Thanks Kamikazi So it sounds like I am trying to make one set of cans do 2 sets of cans work and I should rather get something fit for its main purpose, which in this case is for the digital piano?

Alastair

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »
Thanks Kamikazi So it sounds like I am trying to make one set of cans do 2 sets of cans work and I should rather get something fit for its main purpose, which in this case is for the digital piano?

Alastair

I wouldn't say its wrong, but typically monitoring/studio headphones end up having a better chance of being good for both music instrument playback and general music than the other way round. Another nice option to consider is the Sony MDR-7506 which is below your budget.

Online xenithon

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
The one good thing about the Shure headphones is that you can go to a place like Toms which has most of their range on show which you can demo....something I do not think any other brand has in SA.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »
The one good thing about the Shure headphones is that you can go to a place like Toms which has most of their range on show which you can demo....something I do not think any other brand has in SA.

:thumbs: and good chance you'll be able to try it out whilst playing on one of their keyboards.