Advice for a headphones newbie

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0dja

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up an almost new set of B&W P5 headphones for a really good price. This is the first time I've owned good phones (some may argue with that desciption  8)). So two questions:

* dedicated headphone amplifier. How much impact does this have? I use my iPad nano when out and about, or the headphone jack on my Rotel integrated amp, or the headphone jack on my Fast Track sound card.
  -- as an extension of this Q -- can you get good battery-powered headphone amps to augment an iPod?

* room spatialisers. Been doing some research on this, and the issue with most stereo recordings is that they are mixed for a speaker environment, so there is overlap between L and R channels by the time the sound reaches your ear (with some attenuation of higher freqs and slight time delay). Listening to stereo "pure" I find a bit fatiguing and "in your head". I've been playing with headphone plugins for Foobar. Any thoughts on these techs?

Latest posts