12 Step programs - good?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolby

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps slightly controversial - but has anyone needed to attend these for an addiction, any addiction - but typically narcostics or alcohol? Any of your kids? Family members? What are your feelings - if any? Do they work?

I've recently had experience with these and - although masqueraded as a support group - I feel it it can sometimes cause more harm than good. When one first attends these groups you're very vulnerable and more the 'experienced' guys take advantage and prey/hunt on the vulerable females - often causing stress and tensions at home. Many give in and feel these guys are 'real' friends and generally end up sleeping with them - whether they're in a relationship or not.

At the end of meetings, often there are dinners or coffes which members attend. There are picnics, plays and other events scheduld for the members. The problem comes in when people attend these groups for the social aspects only. The groups morphs from support to social and no longer serves the purpose originally intended. Some members lives start revolving around these programs and the other aspecst in their lives take a 2nd or even 3rd priority.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about - thank you for letting me rant anyway ;)