Metal Treatment - galvanising and rust...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I picked up a Thorens TD125 MkI in a seriously poor condition. I think it had some noxious liquid spilled on it (smells like cat pee) and looks like it sat in the rain for a bit...

I have stripped the table completely and am starting to clean everything up. The 'motor plate' or sub-chassis is steel that looks like it was galvanised. Unfortunately some of the galvanising has come off and rust has set in. Luckily the rust is surface rust and has not compromised the structural integrity of the plate.

Logic says that I can strip everything and then get it re-galvanised. But. There is a caveat; there are a whole lot of pressed in fittings (that I do not want to press out) and quite a few threads that have been cut for the various fittings that go onto the plate (motor, circuit, transformer etc)...

What do you think is the best way to tackle this so that I can protect the metal from further corrosion and add another 40 years to this tables life?

Here are some pictures:

Thorens TD125 MkI - Motor plate by arclients, on Flickr

Thorens TD125 MkI - Motor plate by arclients, on Flickr

Latest posts