Broadband absorber - porous for small rooms, membrane for bigger?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strainger

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Regarding the well known Ethan Winers designs for Panel bass traps: he (and others) mentions on a few different forums that that specific design is wasted on small(er) rooms. It is better to go for porous panels (with air space behind them, or even better, straddling corners).

What I'd like to know is: what is a small(er) room? When do we get to the size where his bass traps WILL work, or rather, where we HAVE to go for those?

My room is 12m (at longest point), 6m wide, 2.8m high AND has a large glass sliding door at the back wall that leads to another 3m x 6m room. My wife has finally stripped her moer and got rid of all my carefully precision-placed rubbish, so I basically have a bare room which I have to treat from scratch ('and this time make it look GOOD!'). So we'll start with first reflection points (sigh) and then bass traps for the corners.

My plan is to go for the U Thermo boards that Edward.ruthven suggested in another thread recently. I'll try to attach a pic or two of my layout - if it doesn't show up, I'll pm Gert. I understand he is a patient tutor when it comes to getting your pics posted...

Please pitch in with suggestions (and sympathy). Edward, how did those U Thermo boards work out for you?

Overhead 1.jpg

Overhead 2.jpg

Longitud View.jpg

Latest posts