Question regarding mastering of compilation albums

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now Playing

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the process used in the commercial manufacture of compilation albums for some time now, in particular in regards to sound quality given the need to normalise all tracks on the compilation so that the same relative volume levels are achieved from track to track on playback.  My understanding is that this is in essence a destructive process whereby the waveform is modified to increase and/ or reduce overall relative volume, and can also result in clipping?  So, for example playing back a track on the original CD versus a compilation containing the same track will yield a different result, with the compilation version being quieter (I'm guessing this isn't a regular occurrence) or louder than the original CD.  I'm also guessing that they're not subjected to additional compression and/or limiting so the relative dynamics of the track remains unaffected (except if clipped)?  In essence therefore, it would be reasonable to conclude that compilation CDs will in many cases be inferior to the original release.  Anyone care to confirm/refute and shed some light on this?

Latest posts